• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Center beam end bearing in crawlspace

Re: Center beam end bearing in crawlspace

Mule - Can't say for certain in the photo provided, but my bigger problem is with the 'shims' (especially the top one). That little trimmed end of PT won't last long... :roll:

Agree with JD's reply - if the visible splice on the outside piece is the only splice within 16 inches, I'd accept it too. But the entire arrangement at hte support pier needs correction.

And a few more nails BTW. I only see three in each side of the splice, but can see well more than 16" to each side of it.

I have stopped excepting site built laminated beams that do not have all common splices bearing on a post. I have been back to several homes that were finishing the basement off several years after initial construction and asked by homeowners why their main floor dorrs did not operate properly. The original contractor was attributing it to settling. The actual problem was that staggered, unsupported beam splices were deflecting because their were unequal loads on the ends of each segment of the spliced beam. A real mess. I was also to a seminar sponsored by AWPA several years ago where the instructor indicated that splicing beams anywhere except directly over posts is no longer an acceptable practice.

I would require an engineers design on the fastening schedule prior to accepting a laminated beam that does not have all splices bearing on posts.

In my experience, even kiln dried lumber shrinks a little after a structure has been completed. Using a laminated 2X10 girder, that shrinkage can be as much as 1/4 inch. With joists resting on the girder shrinking another 1/4 inch, that's a half inch which produces some floor squeaks and can easily affect tile flooring and stairways. Consider also the second floor joists shrinking another 1/4 inch, making a 3/4 in. settlement at the second floor. Add a little truss uplift and the whole place could seem to be on the move!

The use of engineered lumber and floor systems has reduced the shrinkage factor to almost zero - one point in its favor. But we know the downside too, eh?

Pardon the ramble - now back to the topic...

someone is going to LIVE here... at least move the shims to the joist intersection!

This is just sloppy

Here is the funny part about this picture. I was doing a private inspection for a new construction. I was getting out of the crawlspace which is through the floor and i see the code official there. He says hello and they tells the builder he will be placing the framing sticker on the window. I asked him if it passed or failed (there was much more than just this beam issue) and he said passed. I asked him if he was in the crawlspace yet and he sheepishly said "no". I then told him it would be a good idea and showed him some of the photos on my camera that revealed several violations.

I understand both sides since I walk in both shoes but these were some pretty basic issues in the crawlspace:

1) Beam as shown, all 4 piers were like this

2) One foundation wall approximately 24' in length did not have one single anchor bolt that was properly placed and they are all along side the sill plate.

3) Joist hangars missing where required in at least a half a dozen places

4) Framing not complete as though they went to lunch and forgot where they left off afterwards. A joist nailed on one end and still hanging down on the other :roll:

I've never seen a beam that was laminated in the field, but I do see built-up beams all the time, assuming this might be three 2bys nailed together, the nailing pattern is not code compliant. Other than that . . just the (cough cough) bearing . .

The actual problem was that staggered, unsupported beam splices were deflecting because their were unequal loads on the ends of each segment of the spliced beam. A real mess. I was also to a seminar sponsored by AWPA several years ago where the instructor indicated that splicing beams anywhere except directly over posts is no longer an acceptable practice.
Agree 100% Staggered beams are only as strong as the weakest link and if that link is not sitting on a support then the results can be disasterous. Would you allow a 1.5 inch deep vertical saw cut in the middle of a glue lam or versa lam beam?