• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Certificate of Location

Plumb-bob

When a survey is required to locate a building relative to a property line, is the measurement based to the concrete foundation, or if ICF, to the foam?

Cheers

And I suppose this number could be different than the limiting distance of the exposing building face depending on the wall assembly. How are you guys and gals handling this?

Depends on the rules of the community. we measure to the face of the foundation, however habitable projections count to the set back (picture raised ranch with 2 foot overhang), except 3 feet for soffits, overhangs, cornices, chimney and stairs are exempt.

It depends on the purpose of the survey. Zoning would change based on each individual by-law. There should be a description of where the measurement is taken from in the by-law. I would consider foam to be integral to the foundation in the case of ICF, so if it references the foundation, it would be the outside surface of the foam.

For limiting distance, it is the wall surface measured at a horizontal line to a vertical projection of the property line or imaginary line between two buildings. In this case you can have multiple limiting distances on one side of the building if you have fire compartments creating multiple exposing building faces, or if a house you can use multiple exposing building faces without fire separations.

In theory, these two measurements are almost always different as your exterior wall sheathing and siding project over the foundation.

When calculating spatial separation, I always calculate to the surface of the cladding *if the measurement requires that kind of precision*.
Think I've done it once. IIRC, there were mere centimetres at play, with the potential requirement for non-combustible cladding under 9.10.15 being the critical outcome.