• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Certification website?

Joe, you raised a significant distinction. Unfortunately, many jurisdictions have no requirements to become a BUILDING OFFICIAL. The title and authority is given to an individual by a Mayor, City Manager. City Council, County Director, etc...

I know of a several building officials that have no construction experience, and few, if any, have ICC certifications. However, some have bachelor degrees or post graduate degrees, but no trades experience or code training and certifications.

This one I took the Cabo exam, and it transferred over to ICC.
1690301004896.png

This one I never tested for, it just showed up on the ICC website along with 3 other "Code Official" designations.

1690301146137.png
More certs require more CEU's which require more training which = revenue JMHO

Joe, you raised a significant distinction. Unfortunately, many jurisdictions have no requirements to become a BUILDING OFFICIAL. The title and authority is given to an individual by a Mayor, City Manager. City Council, County Director, etc...

I know of a several building officials that have no construction experience, and few, if any, have ICC certifications. However, some have bachelor degrees or post graduate degrees, but no trades experience or code training and certifications.
That is very disappointing to hear, but unfortunately I can't say I'm surprised...