• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Change in use and what that triggers?

JPohling

Sawhorse
Project is in California. I have a two building campus that was previously being used as a Youth Day Center and a Behavioral Health Center both of which are Occupancy Group "B".

The new use will be a Parole Office. Also a "B" but it is clearly a Change in Use. What are the possible ramifications for this Change in Use? Accessibility will be addressed. I am concerned about things like Energy efficiency and insulation requirements and anything else that may be triggered by this change in use/activity.

The intent is Leed Silver so energy efficiency will be addressed as well, but this is a 60's era building with single pane glass and aluminum windows that are not in great shape

I think you might want to start by having a conversation with the Fire Marshal (or whoever acts as the Fire Code Official) and see what their take is. Where I'm at the FD is not heavy handed with the application of the CA Fire Code, but some jurisdictions are.

2022 CA Fire Code
[A] 102.3 Change of Use or Occupancy
A change of occupancy shall not be made unless the use or occupancy is made to comply with the requirements of this code and the California Existing Building Code.
Exception: Where approved by the fire code official, a change of occupancy shall be permitted without complying with the requirements of this code and the California Existing Building Code, provided that the new or proposed use or occupancy is less hazardous, based on life and fire risk, than the existing use or occupancy.

If you are going leeds it should exceed the current energy code...If the energy usage is not increased, the COO is not an issue...Other than lighting which is hard to get wrong these days...