• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Change of Occupancy

The trick is to enforce what the code requires not what you would prefer.

mtlogcabin said:
I still contend that the vast majority of the public have no idea of when they are in a sprinklered building or not and therefore the above quote is a false assumption
When I talk to maybe 75% of people,

They want to know if the system will discharge like in the movies,,,

All at once

Mark K said:
The trick is to enforce what the code requires not what you would prefer.
I agree

IBC 901.6 says remove a non-required non-working system

The standard that FM posted is just that a standard and a specific code usually trumps what a standard permits. The standard makes sense in the fact that only the sprinklers, alarms have to be removed.

Do you enforce the code or do you follow a standard

IBC 901.6 says remove a non-required non-working system The standard that FM posted is just that a standard and a specific code usually trumps what a standard permits. The standard makes sense in the fact that only the sprinklers, alarms have to be removed.

Do you enforce the code or do you follow a standard
The system is considered removed if done in accordance with the referenced standard and therefore removes the “false sense of security” as noted in the commentary. One must also be reasonable in the enforcement of the code.