• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Changes to Intersystem Bonding Terminal NEC 250.94

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This is a pretty significant change.

(A) The Intersystem Bonding Termination Device.

An intersystem bonding termination (IBT) for connecting intersystem bonding conductors shall be provided external to enclosures at the service equipment or metering equipment enclosure and at the disconnecting means for any buildings or structures that are supplied by a feeder or branch circuit. If an IBT is used, it shall comply with the following:
  • (1) Be accessible for connection and inspection
  • (2) Consist of a set of terminals with the capacity for connection of not less than three intersystem bonding conductors
  • (3) Not interfere with opening the enclosure for a service, building or structure disconnecting means, or metering equipment
  • (4) Be securely mounted as follows:
    • a. At the service equipment, to a metal enclosure for the service equipment, to a metal meter enclosure, or to an exposed nonflexible metal service raceway, or be connected to the metal enclosure for the grounding electrode conductor with a minimum 6 AWG copper conductor
    • b. At the disconnecting means for a building or structure that is supplied by a feeder or branch circuit, be electrically connected to the metal enclosure for the building or structure disconnecting means, or be connected to the metal enclosure for the grounding electrode conductor with a minimum 6 AWG copper conductor
  • (5) Be listed as grounding and bonding equipment

But if it is supplied by a feeder, it is not a service (No SE)......And I've never seen it metered other than a service (No MEE)....? I am so confused....

But if it is supplied by a feeder, it is not a service (No SE)......And I've never seen it metered other than a service (No MEE)....? I am so confused....
The parsing:

". . . external to (enclosures at the service equipment or metering equipment enclosure) and (at the disconnecting means for any buildings or structures that are supplied by a feeder or branch circuit)."

Cheers, Wayne

Here's three popular examples. The first two have the GEC routed through the device. If you see a code violation, go ahead and quote a section number.

IMG_9513.JPG

IMG_9514.JPG

IMG_8875.jpeg

DSCN4626.JPG

Last edited:
The parsing:

". . . external to (enclosures at the service equipment or metering equipment enclosure) and (at the disconnecting means for any buildings or structures that are supplied by a feeder or branch circuit)."

Cheers, Wayne
So if you are saying this.....I need it at the meter AND at the disco......For grammars sake...

So if you are saying this.....I need it at the meter AND at the disco......For grammars sake...
On a building supplied by a service, you need it at the "service equipment or metering equipment enclosure".

On a building supplied by a feeder or branch circuit, you need it at "the disconnecting means".

Cheers, Wayne