• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

changing construction type for remodel

omahawildcat

I am working on a small office building (3 stories) that has non-combustible (multi wythe brick) exterior walls, floors and roofs but had wood framed partitions so I assumed it was a type 3b and that is what I moved forward with. The owner wants to continue the use of wood framed partitions. Went for permit and the city said the building was originally a 2B and they can not change that.
Is that true, can you not change the construction type as long as the building meets all of the requirements for the new building type?

Is that true, can you not change the construction type as long as the building meets all of the requirements for the new building type?

No, that is not correct. And if the current classification is obviously incorrect (wood framing inside a II-B building), then IMHO it has to be reclassified.

No that is not true

602.1.1 Minimum requirements.
A building or portion thereof shall not be required to conform to the details of a type of construction higher than that type which meets the minimum requirements based on occupancy even though certain features of such a building actually conform to a higher type of construction.