• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Changing Table Millwork

nsuchy

We have a changing table with built-in lower cabinets and a solid-surface top at 34" height. There is a 4" high lip that extends above this, creating a well around the changing space. Would this be ADA compliant, or would we have to lower the work surface to 30" to have the top of the well lip at 34"?

You need to lower the surface so the top edge is not over 34 inches. You must also provide knee and toe clearance for a forward approach; thus, a 27-inch clearance is required under the table.

I agree with Ron.

A117.1 Sec. 902.2 requires that the clear floor space for a work surface be by forward approach. Thus, you need to lower to 34-inches (Sec. 902.4) and remove the built-in lower cabinets.

Depends on what that table is used for (is it a workstation? Do patients / the public use it? Etc.). Generally speaking though, you'll likely need to remove the lip and provide clearances as others have pointed out.

OP indicated the use...
That's what I get for trying to reply when not getting any sleep haha... I misread that the solid surface top was different from the actual changing table (for some odd reason, I though it was just a separate counter next to the table). My bad.

Since I'm on the A117.1 committee, not that changing tables are in my area of expertise, curious if this a changing table for infants or adults, since adult changing tables are now required in some codes.