• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Check in window / check out window Dr's office

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I would like the ADA and ANSI opinions on this one.

Sliding check in window, side approach only. No shelf for check writing although those who can stand use the window sill/opening as a check writing platform.

36", 48?

Is a check writing shelf required?

Heights????

Seems to be a debate in our area on this one.

Thanks

sliding check in window- 2003 ansi, 309.8 operable parts shall be placed within one or more of the reach ranges

specified in section 308

904 sales and SERVICE counters. if your taking my money you better have a complying counter somewhere.

904.4.3 check writting surfaces. where provided (see above) must comply w/sec.902.3

Agreed.

Without a check writing posibility, the height could be 36 inches to the lowest edge of the opening. With check writing, the sill can be no higher than 34 inches AFF.

Also: If the patron can be asked to open the window or press a bell, that must be within reach range.

ADA

7. BUSINESS, MERCANTILE AND CIVIC.

7.1 General. In addition to the requirements of section 4, the design of all areas used for business transactions with the public shall comply with 7.

7.2 Sales and Service Counters, Teller Windows, Information Counters.

(1) In areas used for transactions where counters have cash registers and are provided for sales or distribution of goods or services to the public, at least one of each type shall have a portion of the counter which is at least 36 in (915mm) in length

with a maximum height of 36 in (915 mm) above the finish floor

. It shall be on an accessible route complying with

http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm#4.34.3

http://www.access-board.gov/adaag/html/adaag.htm#4.3' rel="external nofollow">. Such counters shall include, but are not limited to, counters in retail stores, and distribution centers. The accessible counters must be dispersed throughout the building or facility. In alterations where it is technically infeasible to provide an accessible counter, an auxiliary counter meeting these requirements may be provided.

(2) In areas used for transactions that may not have a cash register but at which goods or services are sold or distributed including, but not limited to, ticketing counters, teller stations, registration counters in transient lodging facilities, information counters, box office counters and library check-out areas, either:

(i) a portion of the main counter which is a minimum of 36 in (915 mm) in length shall be provided with a

maximum height of 36 in

(915 mm); or

(ii) an auxiliary counter with a maximum height of 36 in (915 mm) in close proximity to the main counter shall be provided; or

(iii) equivalent facilitation shall be provided (e.g., at a hotel registration counter, equivalent facilitation might consist of: (1)

provision of a folding shelf attached to the main counter on which an individual with a disability can write, and (2) use of the space on the side of the counter

or at the concierge desk, for handing materials back and forth).

jar546 said:
Any other opinions? Still have a Dr arguing that he never saw one that low (36"). Does not want to move it to 36"
i agree with what the others have said. with the compassion towards the disabled that this so called doctor is showing ,i think he missed his true calling as a repo-man, bill collector, tax-man, slaughter house worker, or maybe even over zealous building code enforcement officer.:mrgreen:

jar546 said:
Any other opinions? Still have a Dr arguing that he never saw one that low (36"). Does not want to move it to 36"
Suggest that he contact the Insurance companies for which he is a provider for additional guidance. ADAAG compliance is invariably a requirement for his facility in order to take their money.

Makes some spaces harder to lease.

Tell the doctor he can keep the window at 48 inches if he puts a reception desk with a 36 inch counter in front of it and caulks the window shut.

:D :p

jar546 said:
Just got an email from PA L&I with an unofficial opinion that it should be 34"
IMO1, if there's any type of work surface then 34" would be required.

IMO2, if you call an official up and ask a code question over the phone, expect the most conservative answer.

IMO3, it needs to comply with reach requirements from both sides.

RJJ said:
Yes 34" is correct. See post above!Gene: Do you have an es report for the caulk to be used?
haha!

If I find it I'll let you know.

btw: I agree with brudgers #2 and #3. Although equivilant facilitation according to the ADA includes the use of a clipboard as a writing surface, if anyone is expected to write a check then if the counter isn't at 34 inches a seprarate writing surface needs to be provided at 34 inches in addition to the 36 inch high counter. The buidling code doesn't accept "equivilant facilitation" since the code requries the writing surface if that is the function provided at the counter.

So let me get this straight:

1) Operable parts of the window must be no higher than 48"

2) The window sill cannot be any higher than 36"

3) If there is a check writing surface it must be no higher than 34"

4) If there is not a check writing surface then #2 needs to be 34" because everyone uses the sill as a check writing surface

5) The building code requires a check writing surface?

6) 34" is the final answer, not 36"

Another accessibility inspector does not agree and believes that 48" to the sill is acceptable because it is within the forward and side unobstructed reach range and there is no check writing surface provided.

jar546 said:
Another accessibility inspector does not agree and believes that 48" to the sill is acceptable because it is within the forward and side unobstructed reach range and there is no check writing surface provided.
What's on the employee side?

It needs to be accessible as well.

I'm willing to bet there's a reach over condition there.

RJJ said:
If it is a vision panel it has to be 43"
Good point. But, most doctor's offices don't use this as a vision panel. In fact I've seen plenty where the panel is frosted glass or dimpled or something to obscure vision. I'd probably not worry about that aspect for the appointmetn window since they'd normally slide the panel over to comminucate.

If the window is movable for communication then it would have a limit of 43". Someone employed that is in a wheel chair would not be able to see over a 48" sill. It may make reach range at 48",but it would not comply for vision. Yes it can be frosted, but if it is meant to be a source of visual as well as verbal communication 43 would be the max.