• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Check in window / check out window Dr's office

The window would have to meet section 309.4 of the ANSI as to the operation of the window. If used for communication agree with RJJ that the sill could be no higher than 43" AFF.

jeff,

it is just starting to get fun at this point, don't give up! give these guys a copy of the code section with a fix it ticket. it does not come close to even meeting construction tolerances.

jar546 said:
Just rechecked the window.They lowered it and made a built in check writing surface on the sill projecting out.

Height: 37-3/4"

I give up
Ask them why they don't want a CO.

Jeff: don't let this junk get to ya! Tell them it is a nice counter and they can either build one at the proper height or lower the one they have to 34".

Also, let them know they need a check when it is corrected for the re inspection. I most often need the check before I inspect.

I have to disagree. There is nothing in chapter 11 of the 2009 IBC that says it must be accessible if the window is not meant to be opened on the waiting room side. The office side can be in an employee work area and does not need to be accessible.

A window sill does not need to be accessible either. 1109.11 says only if sales and service counter is provided you need an accessible one. Ch. 11 tells you what needs to be accessible, ANSI 117.1 tells you how it is done. PA inspectors do not enforce ADA or ADAAG.

Rick18071 said:
I have to disagree. There is nothing in chapter 11 of the 2009 IBC that says it must be accessible if the window is not meant to be opened on the waiting room side. The office side can be in an employee work area and does not need to be accessible.A window sill does not need to be accessible either. 1109.11 says only if sales and service counter is provided you need an accessible one. Ch. 11 tells you what needs to be accessible, ANSI 117.1 tells you how it is done. PA inspectors do not enforce ADA or ADAAG.
A check writing surface was built into the sill.

Reach ranges still apply to the other side, employee or not.

I do not agree with your opinion. I contacted L&I and was told 34" for the window sill. You can be as right as you think you are until you are audited again. Not taking that chance.

Jeff

jar546 said:
Another accessibility inspector does not agree and believes that 48" to the sill is acceptable because it is within the forward and side unobstructed reach range and there is no check writing surface provided.
CBC Section 1122B.4 & 1122B.5 - Counters (banks, retail, etc.) - ......36" minimum long and no more than 28" to 34" high.....

Exceptions include a fold down shelf attached to the main counter or an auxiliary counter.

Sue, living on the frontier

I have been audited in all types of buildings that have employee work areas and never had a problem. Have a bathtub in the middle of a room with no grab bars in a nursing home. L&I told me it's ok because the nurses help the handicap people there and it's a employee work area.

Rick18071 said:
I have been audited in all types of buildings that have employee work areas and never had a problem. Have a bathtub in the middle of a room with no grab bars in a nursing home. L&I told me it's ok because the nurses help the handicap people there and it's a employee work area.
Please see if your auditor can be reassigned to my area. I would appreciate that.

I have many rooms and areas with things out of reach range but are ok because they where in "employee work zones" (IBC 1103.2.3) in privet offices, commercial kitchens, factories, etc. if the office not used by the public and is emplyees only the window on that side can be in the employee work zone.

Rick18071 said:
I have many rooms and areas with things out of reach range but are ok because they where in "employee work zones" (IBC 1103.2.3) in privet offices, commercial kitchens, factories, etc. if the office not used by the public and is emplyees only the window on that side can be in the employee work zone.
There's an employee only exemption to accessibility?

Were did you come up with that???

Certainly not by reading the code and ADA.gov.

2006 IBC

1103.2.3 Employee work areas. Spaces and elements

within employee work areas shall only be required to comply

with Sections 907.9.1.2, 1007 and 1104.3.1 and shall be

designed and constructed so that individuals with disabilities

can approach, enter and exit the work area.Work areas,

or portions of work areas, that are less than 150 square feet

(14 m2) in area and elevated 7 inches (178 mm) or more

above the ground or finish floor where the elevation is

essential to the function of the space shall be exempt from

all requirements.

907.9.1.2 is about alarms

1007 is means of egress

1104.3.1 is circulation paths

In PA we inspectors enforce ICC codes, not ADA

Do You make them put in accessable punch presses?

brudgers said:
What constitutes an "element?"
An element is a state of matter than when divided cannot become anything other than itself or subatomic particles.

(So sorry. This thread has taken a turn for the extreme and I'm just trying to interject some levity - thanks for the opportunity - :D )

brudgers said:
What constitutes an "element?"
Element: An architectural or mechanical component of a building, facility, space, or site.

DR is going to lose if sued... 34" is 34"... an area to write a check or fill out paperwork is not the same as reaching up to hand it to an employee. Put yourself in a wheelchair (I've done it to prove the point).

I can reach higher than I can write (legibly anyway).

Wanted to resurrect this subject as it is coming up again.

I don't agree with PA L&I that the window must be 34" as it is not a check writing surface. I believe it should be 36" max and if they provide an actual check writing surface, not just the sill that is split in two by the slider channel then the check writing surface must be at 34". I am not sure we can force them to take the sill to 34" if there is a work surface nearby that is compliant for their use.

This new problem is in a doctor's office inside a retail establishment. I think if they hand you a clipboard, they are off the hook for the 34" but if you are expected to write a check or sign a credit card slip, you need a 34" surface.

This does not appear to be cut and dry. I wish the ANSI or ADAAG was more specific about sliding service windows.