• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

check valve

inspector1

Is a check valve needed on a residential home with a well that has a top fed water heater? Thanks

IMO the well would be classified as an alternate water source an our state requires backflow protection.

pc1

How rude of me!

Welcome inspector1. For some reason I thought you were an old timer. Sorry......... :(

Well George what or who's pump? A foot value is a different animal.

Most are set up with a check valve but not all. Depend on the pressure vessel and the pump configuration. A continuous pressure pump would not need a check valve.

RJJ said:
Well George what or who's pump? A foot value is a different animal.Most are set up with a check valve but not all. Depend on the pressure vessel and the pump configuration. A continuous pressure pump would not need a check valve.
All the submersible well pumps I have found on the internet seem to have check valves (or check valve systems???) that prevent backflow. According to Wiki one needs a dual check valve for code compliance. I don't know if a single check valve is sufficient or if a check valve system is a dual check valve.