• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chicken Barn

Applicable Codes:
2012 IBC
2000 NFPA
2012 IFC

I have a few people asking me about the applicable codes related to a 22,000 square foot chicken barn.
If the type of occupancy were a multiple choice question, then I would say a large chicken coupe would be either F1, F2, or U occupancy.

And for the NFPA 101 Life Safety analysis, I would think that this falls into the category of "Special Purpose Industrial Occupancy".

Anyone else have an opinion?

Thank you!

ICC Certified Plan Reviewer
NFPA Certified Fire Plan Examiner

Agreed for both IBC and NFPA.

https://up.codes/viewer/general/int...hapter/3/use-and-occupancy-classification#312

312.1 General

Buildings and structures of an accessory character and miscellaneous structures not classified in any specific occupancy shall be constructed, equipped and maintained to conform to the requirements of this code commensurate with the fire and life hazard incidental to their occupancy. Group U shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
Agricultural buildings

Aircraft hangars, accessory to a one- or two-family residence (see Section 412.5)

Barns

Carports

Fences more than 6 feet (1829 mm) in height

Grain silos, accessory to a residential occupancy

Greenhouses

Livestock shelters

Private garages

Retaining walls

Sheds

Stables

Thought the the "Chicken Barn" was a restaurant?;)

IBC 2012, Appendix C may help?

We call them poultry buildings here.

There's a store in Whittier that sells live chickens. You can get them dead as well. The chickens are stored in a walk-in cooler......in cages the size of a shoebox. Too cold to move but not quite suspended animation.

MH, your "city" is showing. Back in the day SFV was full of what we called chicken coops, raised cages with dirt floors.

It is/continues to be un-American to restrict farmers. Old time dairys and chicken farms are proving to be environmental time bombs.
By definition coupes may be cages vs barns which contain cages or not.

The Whittier "store" is just that, a retail facility.

A chicken ranch (which they used to be called - ever try to saddle a chicken!?) raises birds for eventual processing or shipping live to processors.
So, is it a: hatchery, a laying facility, contain a processing plant ( a separate use) or other? Could also be a free range facility too with the barn/coupes only for weather protection.

MH, your "city" is showing. Back in the day
05ed978e95de43f18ca5c1c5225913f2--chicken-ranch-business-signs.jpg

Back in the day......

There's a store in Whittier that sells live chickens. You can get them dead as well. The chickens are stored in a walk-in cooler......in cages the size of a shoebox. Too cold to move but not quite suspended animation.
There will soon be one in my city....Still in plan check.

Another thread gone down hill, off the tracks, lost in the ozone, on vacation,

Sorry Bay Point