• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chicken Rotisserie Ovens

beach

Gold Member
Are chicken rotisserie ovens, (which are typically listed, self contained oven units) required to have fire suppression, hood and exhaust systems? It appears NFPA 96 requires it......

Re: Chicken Rotisserie Ovens

beach said:
Are chicken rotisserie ovens, (which are typically listed, self contained oven units) required to have fire suppression, hood and exhaust systems? It appears NFPA 96 requires it......
Yes because they will be producing grease laden vapors.

I would tend to agree with my esteemed colleague from Illinois.

Thanks! I agree...however, there is some argument that some rotisserie ovens are "self contained" and completely confine grease-laden vapors to within the unit, thereby negating the need for suppression, hood and exhaust. I haven't physically looked at the units, but the question did arise.

beach said:
Thanks! I agree...however, there is some argument that some rotisserie ovens are "self contained" and completely confine grease-laden vapors to within the unit, thereby negating the need for suppression, hood and exhaust. I haven't physically looked at the units, but the question did arise.
If they have their own fire suppression then they are indeed self contained.

Otherwise you've got grease and heat and no fire suppression.

beach said:
You have to open the door sometime to retrieve the product...hence grease laden vapor release.

beach said:
Tell them that's fine as long as they never oprn them. :D

would say NO because it is like a oven!!!! do you protect an enclosed oven??????

would say NO because it is like a oven!!!! do you protect an enclosed oven??????
That's exactly what I was alluding to! However, I think a chicken rotisserie would produce much more grease and flames.... my gut tells me a full system would be required but practically, if it's the same as an enclosed oven......I still don't know. Anybody have any chicken rotisserie's out there??? :|

IF you had to provide an Ansul type system, where would you put the fusible link? You can't put it in the enclosed unit because the temp. would be too high......Ok, I'm going with cda and calling it the same as an oven....no suppression.

Thanks guys!!

beach,

I agree with cda! Around these parts, almost every covenience

store and grocery store has one or more of these type self

contained units. It's a good device to help generate revenues!

Besides, if I tried to require a Type I hood & suppression system,

I would be un-employed by the time I got back to the office. :eek:

"Don't mess with the chicken!" :lol:

We have a Sam's in our juristiction that just renovated the store and installed three rotisserie ovens. They have a Type 1 hood system with fire suppression system. These are also listed in the IMC. The fusible links are a higher temperature located in the hood assembly. Would you believe Sam's sells 10,000 pounds of chicken rotisserie a week?

Great site by the way, better than the ICC message board.

depfm66 - Welcome to the board. If you wre a member of the OLD ICC Board, you will recognize many of the names here. Come back often, it's a lot of fun and occasionally we actually provide some great information.

cda: no you don't protect a closed oven! The code here leaves an area open for debate. The words grease laden seem to be the issue. Needs to be clearer! ;)

Interesting discussion - I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on, if you want a strict one-size-fits-all answer. I've seen plenty of these, and I ALWAYS ask for the listing and mfg. installation instructions. I actually ask for cut sheets, listings, and mfg. installation instructions for anything that has a permanent connection to fuel gas, water, drain/waste or electrical with regards to food service establishments. So I have two complete packages for dishwashers, coolers, fryers, hoods, cooktops, walk-in coolers, refrigerated displays, etc. - one for the office, and one for the inspector to verify correct installations.

Anyway, if the listing specifically states that no hood is required, or only a type II, etc. then that's what I go with. Otherwise, I treat it like any other oven.

Not to derail this thread, but I'd be interested if everyone asks for commercial kitchen cutsheets, etc. for all devices?

not normaly, unless something have not seen before

one other way to think, and not so much with the chains, but the equipment changes over the years and the ahj may or may not know about changes.

I agree with Vegas Paul,

Although, I make it a point to purchase and attempt to keep up with, the full set of codes each code cycle; my area of interest and expertise (for lack of a better word) lies in the International Residential Codes.

Without thumbing through the Mechanical, Fuel Gas, and Fire Codes; which I believe should be in agreement with the IRC on this subject; I always have required the Manufacturer's Installation Instructions to be on site at time of inspection. When I come upon a product's instructions where the manufacturer attempts to pass any responsibility conserning any part of the installtion; I look at the manufacturer's warrany.

Some manufacturers use the terms; prefered, suggested, and recommended when they don't want to take responsibility for a specific installation (it is usually more costly, and the manufacturer doesn't want the cost to effect the purchase of their product). In those cases I have contacted the manufacturer and asked if the warranty is voided if the "prefered, suggested, and/or recommended" installation guidelines are not followed. In all cases the manufacture has replied that "the warranty is voided".

I don't have the other code books on hand (packed up);

However, IRC, R102.4 Referenced codes and standards.

"Exception: Where enforcement of a code provision would violate the conditions of the listing of the equipment or appliance. the conditions of the listing and manufacturer's instructions shall apply."

To use any code or standard for installation which violates the manufacturer's listing and/or installtion instructions; places the full burden of responsibility on the Building Official, relieves the manufacturer of any liability, and ususally voids the warranty.

Not a good thing,

Uncle Bob

VP,

To answer the question, I do for all fire protection and detection systems. I handle the "closed" cooking appliance in a similar manner as you also. We evaluate it like we teach the public with oven fire prevention. If you remove the heat, fuel or oxygen the fire progression reduces. We also make sure if the appliance has glass it's rated and listed for very high temperatures.

No mention by anyone as to this requirement being for commercial applications (as in markets and big boxes (not IRC's) or the need to "Maintain" grease collectors to prevent flareups

CMC 508.0 Type I Hoods
508.1 Where Required Type I hoods shall be installed at or above commercial-type deep-fat fryers, broilers, grills, hottop ranges, ovens, barbecues, rotisseries, and similar equipment that emits comparable amounts of smoke or grease in a food-processing establishment. For the purpose of this section, a food-processing establishment shall include a building or portion thereof used for the processing of food, but shall not include a dwelling unit.

IMC 507.2.1 Type I Hoods
Type I hoods shall be installed where cooking appliances produce grease or smoke. Type I hoods shall be installed over medium-duty, heavy-duty and extra-heavy-duty cooking appliances. Type I hoods shall be installed over light-duty cooking appliances that produce grease or smoke.