• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chief Architect

CLIFFECK

I have used Chief Architect Ver. 10 Software and want to reinstall on a Windows 10 Laptop Computer. I know it works because I hdve a WIN 7 Desktop Computer and upgraded it to a WIN 8.1 and then to a WIN 10, and it works fine. Now I have a new WINDOWS 10 Laptop and want to reinstall it on it but it will not execute. Chief Architect tell me that it has to be upgraded to a newer version of thier software (at a cost of $2600) to work. Thats far beyond reasonable to me (I'm 85 retired) because I use it for my own intertainment not for commercial use. I still like to design ideas of home (my own) improvment just to see what I could do if I were a younger person. So I'm stuck with using my old Dell Desktop and not my shinny new Dell Laptop.

Anyone have any comment?

Have a seperate computer with window 8 or 7

So the software will work??

Yep

Modern stuff does not seem much better than the old,

Just have to pay money to do it.

There isn't much difference, I downloaded X8 demo, a while back and didn't see enough to pay another $2600. I know how to use the program.

Reactions: cda
The new computer is probably a 64-bit machine and your older CA software (and machine) is 32-bit. If you right-click on the CA icon on your icon (on the new computer), pick Properties, then pick the "Compatibility" tab you will see there is a box that says "Compatibility Mode" where you can tell Windoze 10 64-bit to run the program based on Win 95 through Win 8; you should also check the "Run this program as administrator" too.