1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Child Daycare Restroom Facilities

Discussion in 'Accessibility' started by Papio Bldg Dept, May 6, 2011.

1. JBI

JBI Registered User

Just trying to help, Papio. :)

rshuey - Yes, I did. The master bedroom was quite large and contained numerous rows of fixed seating... But I figure if the Big Guy likes an audience in His House, who am I to argue?

2. Papio Bldg Dept

Papio Bldg Dept Platinum Member

You have. There are pros and cons on both sides of this issue, and you have helped give me other options and viewpoints that will be helpful when this discussion occurs with the tenant and designer. Thanks again.

3. Yangarch

Yangarch Registered User

Sorry, this is my first time posting, and I'm having problem posting this question as an independent thread--the forum is asking to invite people? Since this thread is on a somewhat related topic, maybe it's okay to post here?

I'm trying to figure out if there are regulations for spacing between side-by-side freestanding sinks for a daycare that I'm working on in Massachusetts. (Our state building code is based off IBC 2015). These are two sinks for children (toddlers) to wash their hands. The room also have 2 adult sinks which are accessible. I've found some guidelines for lavatory heights for different age groups, but strangely, I'm having a tough time finding out where to look for information about spacing between the sinks themselves.

Right now, I have 2 sinks spaced 4 inches apart on a 36" wall between the end of a counter and closet.

4. cda

cda Sawhorse

welcome

I think there is a day or two, after joining before you can free post.

Great first question, sorry not into sinks, give it a couple of days for great answers.

5. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Everything I see requires a 30-inch center to center clearance.
    according to growth charts a 6yr old is up to 24-inches wide
    but remember at least one needs to meet ICC A117.1. for that child using a mobility device.

#25 mark handler, May 11, 2020
    Last edited: May 11, 2020
    ADAguy likes this.
  6. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

7. Where toilet facilities are primarily for children’s use, required accessible water closets, toilet compartments and lavatories shall be permitted to comply with children’s provision of ICC A117.1.

If they are not required, they are not required to be accessible...In this particular case I believe....

7. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

But there is nothing that allows the fixtures to be closer because it is for children so by code laves shall be 30" center to center. Regardless of the bowel size or the user.

8. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Missed that Mark, Thanks, so this:

405.3.1 Water closets, urinals, lavatories and bidets. A
    water closet, urinal, lavatory or bidet shall not be set closer
    than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to any side wall,
    partition, vanity or other obstruction, or closer than 30
    inches (762 mm) center to center between adjacent fixtures.

ADAguy and mark handler like this.
  9. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

ADAAG does not apply, the operator is bound by local code, 2010 ADASAD and state licensing requirements too. Even if you are only inspecting for code.

10. Yangarch

Yangarch Registered User

Thanks everyone for the input on this. I couldn't seem to find this info in our local (Massachusetts) plumbing code. So I guess the assumption is that our local codes would be based on these the ICC model codes unless they specifically note a difference.

11. ADAguy

ADAguy Registered User

Considering that Mass's code (67') addressed access prior to North Carolina, this is an interesting thread you raise.

12. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

Mass. plumbing might have an ICC base sort of at this point but the plumbing board modifies the crap out of it with 100 yr old thinking....