• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chinese drywall

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
My daughter is looking to buy a house in Lakeland Florida that has Chinese drywall. I herd bad things about this drywall years ago but don't know much about it. They told her that the drywall was installed in 2006 and that the bad drywall was around in 2005. The realtor said they will test for the bad drywall. Can someone tell me anything my daughter should know about this?

Need source info as to origin of her drywall. A lot remained on shelves until sold after 2005.
If a reputable builder did the work, maybe/or not?

Need source info as to origin of her drywall. A lot remained on shelves until sold after 2005.
If a reputable builder did the work, maybe/or not?

She will be 3rd owner. If she could fine the source of the drywall would you know if it was OK or not? We all ready know it's from China, so do you mean manufacturer, wholesaler, or retailer?

Crawl up in the attic and pull the insulation back and look for the manufactures name a date of manufacture.
Then GTS for any info you can find

Reactions: cda
Yea good answers good answer!!!

I am thinking find another house to buy

C:\Users\RRENNI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

C:\Users\RRENNI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

So, now you "know" the rest of the story. As with asbestos, the material if removed would have to be treated as hazardous for disposal. Is the house part of a tract?
By now the state should have a list of properties known to have this material. Each is a time bomb.

? Aren't home inspections typically performed pre-purchase as a due dilligence by the buyer in your state?
Individual performs a visual inspection of and reports as to existing conditions observed relative to age of the building and possible existence of non-permitted or poorly maintained construction or materials exceeding useful life.

Yes, that's what I said earlier (smiling), no destructive testing.
Many people moving from an apartment to a SF for the first time have no idea what is involved in the construction of what they bought.