• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Chipotle Mexican Grill

mark handler said:
Please provide something in writting because, as it was explained to me by the DOJ, If a room with a view, is rented at a higher rate, they need to provide equal access to the disabled. "...accessible ...shall be dispersed among the various classes of sleeping accommodations available to patrons of the place of transient lodging...."[adaag]
Hi Mark,

I don't have anything in writing from the DoJ. If you've been in contact with them you know that as a bunch of lawyers, they don't put anything in writing except when they submit it to a court.

Anyway, what you said is right IF there is a different price for the view. Then it is a different class of room. If there's no difference in cost it's treated the same as the rest of that Class.

Gene Boecker said:
If there's no difference in cost it's treated the same as the rest of that Class.
Yes, but I will always design one in. just because a unit is accessible,does not mean they cannot rent it to a nondisabled person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pyrguy, thanks for the link. I guess I don't quite understand the set up of the restaurant.

If it's set up like a subway where you chose what you want in your burrito as the tortilla moves down the counter, I can understand where this verdict is coming from.

If you order at a cash register and they've decided to make the area more public where they assemble the burrito, I have issues with the verdict. Heck, I can watch my burrito being made at most Taco Bells, but I don't think that makes Taco Bell liable to make sure all customers can see their Burrito being made.

Another example, my local take-n-bake pizza place assembles the pizzas in plain view of customers. If they decided to put advertising in the windowed area that makes it so only people standing can watch the pizzas being made, it shouldn't be an ADA issue.

You can see the food items AND a menu board behind and above the food line. They also have a semi-open kitchen area behind that in most stores.

I guess it's a good thing that we don't enforce ADA but rather the state accessibility code or ANSI.

Nothing I like better than standing in a cattle line watching people assemble my food... yessirree.. (wondering if they washed their hands after going potty).. I'd rather not know.

Gene Boecker said:
Now you're just being silly, Jim!
But Gene, was not the relegation to a second tier "experience" precisely based on the lack of "view"? It's not like the customer fully immersed in the "experience" is elbow to elbow with the cooks and flipping those tostadas.