1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

City not allowing electric baseboard heater for bedroom

Discussion in 'Residential Energy Codes' started by pathanay, Jun 13, 2019.

1. pathanay

pathanay Registered User

I'm converting existing space to a bedroom and was planning on adding a hardwired electric baseboard heat to satisfy California residential code requirements:

The people at the city's permit center informed me that an electric baseboard heater will not be allowed. I can't find any city document that says so.

I don't have any central heat and may install a single head mini-split for the living room in the future. We have mild winters.

Is there a way to get around this, besides arguing with the inspector?

2. conarb

conarb Sawhorse

He's probably basing in on what's called "Title 24", but is the energy conservation part of Title 24. You can get a Title 24 consultant to do an analysis and probably make it work, it's all bull **** and trade offs. Title 24 consultants usually do not advertise, try calling a couple of architects' offices and ask them for the name of a Title 24 consultant in your area, or maybe ask the building department why and if they say Energy Code ask them for the name of a good Title 24 Consultant.

3. cda

cda Sawhorse

Would start with the city and ask where the requirement comes from

Get a copy from them, if not on line

And see how it reads.

4. Mark K

Mark K Platinum Member

You either argue with the inspector, hire a consultant to argue with the inspector or give in. If you are not willing to push back you will loose.

5. Rick18071

Rick18071 Sawhorse

Ask for the section and code that this comes from.

my250r11 likes this.
  6. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

2016 RESIDENTIAL COMPLIANCE MANUAL - California Energy Commission
    4.2.2 Prescriptive Requirements
    Under the performance compliance method, a small credit is available for electric Electric resistance and electric radiant heating installation are allowed as the primary heating system only when using the performance compliance method systems relative to electric baseboard systems is used.
    https://www.energy.ca.gov/2015publications/CEC-400-2015-032/CEC-400-2015-032-CMF.pdf

jeffc and my250r11 like this.
  7. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

You the "Man" MH!

my250r11 likes this.
  8. pathanay

pathanay Registered User

Thanks all. I guess I might need to install central heat...

I don't know if I can get into the performance compliance calculations. It's an older home and I have no idea about insulation (if any!) R values, fenestration SHGCs, etc.

9. Robert

Robert Sawhorse

Mark got it right. An energy consultant can make it work for $500 +/- using a performance approach. He/she will need to know floor area, glazing area (and what direction it faces), roofing type and existing insulation if any. You will probably have to add more insulation somewhere else (as a trade-off) to allow the electric heat (hence, the "performance" approach). This will still probably be cheaper then adding a FAU, though will be expensive to run.

I always thought in CA that a new home could not rely solely on electric heat, but I just finished an ADU with only electric heat, thanks to a performance approach by an energy consultant.

10. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Economy Title 24
    6055 E. Washington Blvd. Ste. 445
    Commerce CA 90040
    Office: 626-549-1379
    Fax: 323-890-9055
    E-mail: economytitle24@yahoo.com
    1 to 3,000 Square Feet $125.00
    3,001 to 6,000 Square Feet $150.00
    6,001 to 10,000 Square Feet $175.00

11. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

Use a mini-split for the space

shopping.jpg

jeffc and my250r11 like this.
  12. pathanay

pathanay Registered User

I like mini-splits except that the cost of multiple units really adds up. Would it ok (code-wise) to have a mini-split in the main living area, and a "thru wall transfer" vent to heat the bedroom?

I see a couple of products like:
    https://www.tjernlund.com/airshare_ventilation.htm
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncourt-Thru-Wall-Fan-Hardwired-Variable-Speed-TW208P/202950610

but I don't know if they are Title 24 compliant.

I understand it's not ideal for noise and privacy, but I'm on a tight budget.

Thanks.

13. Robert

Robert Sawhorse

I've used one of those and it was approved. Another option is to use a min-duct mini-split model. The one posted above is a ductless one, but you can get a mini-duct model from the same company. mount the blower in a closet/attic with return air, and run a couple small ducts to the rooms you want heat in. The ducts can fit into a wall or joist bay. or hide them in a soffit. Nice way to go because you don't have to see the unit.

pathanay likes this.
  14. ICE

ICE Sawhorse

I don't think there will be any Title 24 issues.

pathanay likes this.
  15. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Other than power consumption and you could off set that with solar panels, almost free AC.

16. mark handler

mark handler Sawhorse

with solar storage