• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Clear width in front of shower?

Ryan Schultz

Does the dimension below need to be 3ft per 403.5.1 Clear Width or would there be some exception here?

Revit_tIvmOERWK9.png

Looks good to me (if it is a side transfer) for a Type B unit.

upload_2019-12-19_7-39-47.png

Do note that if full accessible use is required (accessible or Type A unit), it bumps up to 36-inches. This can be one of the bigger issues when converting b/w Type A and B.

upload_2019-12-19_7-36-58.png

Last edited:
36" is "better" practice to prevent wall damage, is this intended to be a roll-in or transfer to a seat?

side transfer.png IMHO
It does not comply with a side transfer shower. there is no way, to transfer. the wheels get in the way, you will be out of position. That is why there is an "alcove", for the wheels, in the Code/Standard drawings. you will be transferring into the side wall.

Last edited:
Mark - I think Ryan is saying that (in his opinion) if the wheelchair were to head straight in (instead of backing in as your illustration shows) that the area needed for the rear wheels would protrude into the room and not require the additional bump out.

Mark - I think Ryan is saying that (in his opinion) if the wheelchair were to head straight in (instead of backing in as your illustration shows) that the area needed for the rear wheels would protrude into the room and not require the additional bump out.
IMHO Still won't have clearances
But I'm not involved with that project