• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Close off locker rooms when pool is closed

KenH

SAWHORSE
Hi folks, I have a question on a renovation of some locker rooms that serve an outdoor pool in an apartment building and there is an existing dead-end corridor condition that needs to be corrected.

-Arlington, VA (2015 Virginia Construction Code)
-Built around 1990 under BOCA, type I-B is the IBC equivalent. Fully sprinklered
-Updating locker rooms for ADA/FHA compliance

The attached file shows the configuration of doors. Currently D8 has no lock, just passage hardware. This allows people into the corridor where the locker room doors (D4, D6) are locked by single-cylinder deadbolts when the pool is closed. This creates an 85' dead end that is an issue. I was thinking that a solution would be to have a deadbolt on D8 with the signage "This door to remain unlocked when this space is occupied" per 10.10.1.9.3 exception 2.2, but I'm now seeing that this does not apply to our R-2 use group.

Does anyone see any options in the code that would allow us to close off access to the locker rooms and pool deck outside hours of operation? Electronic access control is an option but we would prefer to avoid it if possible. Thanks in advance!
-Ken

Attachments

• pool_locker room configuration.pdf
    24.5 KB · Views: 19
Hi Ken -

I really don't like the idea of a double-cylinder deadbolt here (like the kind allowed by the section you referenced), but how about adding a deadbolt that is code-compliant? If there is no latching hardware on the door, then the deadbolt would be the one operation to unlatch the door. It would need a thumbturn that is operable without tight grasping, pinching, or twisting of the wrist, but those are readily available. The deadbolt would have to be mounted between 34-48 inches above the floor.

To prevent people from locking the door when they shouldn't, I would use a classroom function deadbolt. From the outside, this deadbolt operates normally - lock or unlock with the key. From the inside, the thumbturn will retract the bolt (in case someone is locked inside), but it will not project the bolt (so only someone with a key can lock it).

Here's an article with some info about deadbolts that might help: https://idighardware.com/2018/08/decoded-deadbolts-in-a-means-of-egress-october-2018/

- Lori

I would propose that the occupant load in this area is less than 50 so no second exit required so no dead end is possible

is occupancy used to determine maximum length of dead end corridor or is it a code max. limit?

Hi Ken -

I really don't like the idea of a double-cylinder deadbolt here (like the kind allowed by the section you referenced), but how about adding a deadbolt that is code-compliant? If there is no latching hardware on the door, then the deadbolt would be the one operation to unlatch the door. It would need a thumbturn that is operable without tight grasping, pinching, or twisting of the wrist, but those are readily available. The deadbolt would have to be mounted between 34-48 inches above the floor.

To prevent people from locking the door when they shouldn't, I would use a classroom function deadbolt. From the outside, this deadbolt operates normally - lock or unlock with the key. From the inside, the thumbturn will retract the bolt (in case someone is locked inside), but it will not project the bolt (so only someone with a key can lock it).

Here's an article with some info about deadbolts that might help: https://idighardware.com/2018/08/decoded-deadbolts-in-a-means-of-egress-october-2018/

- Lori

Thanks Lori - I hadn't thought about just having a deadbolt on the D8 door and eliminating the passage hardware (so unlatching is still a single action). Agreed that a double-cylinder deadbolt would not be a great solution. So we would just have a single cylinder deadbolt on one side with push/pull plates and a closer, right? Is a classroom function deadbolt the same as a single-cylinder deadbolt? Just want to make sure I'm not mixing up my terminology. I really appreciate your feedback!

I would propose that the occupant load in this area is less than 50 so no second exit required so no dead end is possible

I concur with the great State of California!!!

Not a dead end, you can do what you want. Except take the door off.

Hmm, interesting point that I hadn't considered. Thanks for taking a look!

Agree again, not a dead end situation

Put those fancy card reader hardware on the door, and program to not allow access, after and before certain hours

So we would just have a single cylinder deadbolt on one side with push/pull plates and a closer, right? Is a classroom function deadbolt the same as a single-cylinder deadbolt? Just want to make sure I'm not mixing up my terminology. I really appreciate your feedback!

There are different types of deadbolts that could be considered single-cylinder deadbolts - for example, a deadbolt with a thumbturn that projects and retracts the bolt, or a deadbolt with a cylinder on the outside and nothing at all on the inside. I would specifically call out a classroom function deadbolt so you get the function where the thumbturn retracts the bolt but does not throw it. Otherwise, anyone can secure that area for "nefarious purposes," possibly even exposing the facility to liability.