• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Closers Required on Exterior Doors?

LGreene

This article came across my desk, which says that the fire department told business owners that they need to have closers on exterior doors to restrict oxygen to a fire. I don't know of a requirement for closers on exterior doors that are not fire rated. Am I missing something?

Firefighters explain need for automatic door closures

WALB News, By Jim Wallace

DOUGHERTY COUNTY, GA -Albany Firefighters want business owners to remember they are required to have automatic door closure devices on their outside doors for fire safety.

Look at how those flames are roaring into that window. That is the air being pulled inside and feeding that fire, making it even bigger and more intense. That is why there are building codes that businesses must have automatic door closure devices on their outside doors, to prevent that air from rushing into buildings on fire.

Albany Fire Department Investigator Sam Harris said "So when the last person comes out of the door, what happens is it closes itself and seals itself off. So the fire can't get oxygen which therefore allows people a longer time to escape a burning building."

Firefighters say some business owners disagree with building codes and inspectors requiring them to have those automatic closure devices, but say they will help limit the size of fires and could save lives.

Firefighters explain need for automatic door closures - WALB.com, Albany News, Weather, Sports

So if I have an air door I need a closure? a sold door with a closure that shuts on fire alarm? possible if the fire sepration distance is small and the door is allowed in that wall (bad idea to start with). As far a i can find there in not a ICC code requirement for ext door to have closures

What the Albany FD is saying makes a whole lot of sense. I'll be following this thread for sure. We see a lot of exterior doors specified with hold open closers and kick-downs especially in retail and food establishments delivery doors.

GCtony said:
What the Albany FD is saying makes a whole lot of sense. I'll be following this thread for sure. We see a lot of exterior doors specified with hold open closers and kick-downs especially in retail and food establishments delivery doors.
It makes sense as far as limiting oxygen, but I don't know of a code requirement, do you? I think Builder Bob is right - it could be a requirement of the Energy Code, but not for the same reason.

I actually just had a discussion about this with a local business of ours. One of my inspectors wrote it as a violation and the business safety person was not very happy about it, so it got to me. Slight difference, in that this was doors with no latches, not closers. I rescinded the violation because I agree that it is not specifically in the code that exterior doors have to close and latch, although I do think it is assumed (I know, I know) that doors latch or have the ability to be latched. I used the same perspective about the FD's ability to limit the introduction of oxygen to a fire and limiting our ability to provide effective ventilation. So, my 2cents is I agree it is not an IFC/IBC violation, but strongly support having them latch. Not sure I have a position on actually installing closers.

UL and NIST have been doing a lot of studies lately (covered elsewhere in this forum I think) about ventilation and oxygen fed fires. Very interesting stuff and a lot of changes coming for us in the fire service. Slightly off topic, I know. Here is the link:

UL | Impact of Ventilation on Fire Behavior in Legacy and Contemporary Residential Construction

LGreene said:
It makes sense as far as limiting oxygen, but I don't know of a code requirement, do you? I think Builder Bob is right - it could be a requirement of the Energy Code, but not for the same reason.
I'm not even close to being an expert with the codes but I looked in the IBC and ECC and don't see anything other than ECC 506 (total building performance). Most of the building inspectors in our area are very good and know there stuff. They've never asked to remove a hold-open.

Not a code requirement just a fire fighters whishes

Next they will say a building owner are not allowed to have openeable windows for the same reason.

midwestFCO said:
I actually just had a discussion about this with a local business of ours. One of my inspectors wrote it as a violation and the business safety person was not very happy about it, so it got to me. Slight difference, in that this was doors with no latches, not closers. I rescinded the violation because I agree that it is not specifically in the code that exterior doors have to close and latch, although I do think it is assumed (I know, I know) that doors latch or have the ability to be latched. I used the same perspective about the FD's ability to limit the introduction of oxygen to a fire and limiting our ability to provide effective ventilation. So, my 2cents is I agree it is not an IFC/IBC violation, but strongly support having them latch. Not sure I have a position on actually installing closers.UL and NIST have been doing a lot of studies lately (covered elsewhere in this forum I think) about ventilation and oxygen fed fires. Very interesting stuff and a lot of changes coming for us in the fire service. Slightly off topic, I know. Here is the link:

UL | Impact of Ventilation on Fire Behavior in Legacy and Contemporary Residential Construction
Thanks for the info! There are SO MANY exterior doors that don't latch...that could be a tough sell.