• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Closet electrical outlet

fatboy said:
OK, don't agree.........JMHO
In little things like this we contractors just do what the inspectors tell us "they want", I recently had a contractor tell me that an inspector was trying to make him screw the sheetrock along the sole plate and ask if he was right, I gave him the code sections and other information where the inspector might be right but when he said he was going over the inspector's head and complaining to his boss I asked him: "You can do a 10,000 square foot house in an hour, is this really the hill you want to die on?"

I have to disagree with some of the above. If an inspector is trying to enforce something that is not code then I think it is worth talking about. I am not in the habit of doing what the inspector wants simply because he doesn't like it. Show it to me in black and white or I will go over their head even for little stuff. Most of the guys we work with are more than happy to listen and discuss the code. If they are wrong they will admit it as will I.

If you guys are saying that a jb in a closet is not compliant then I will have to say that is incorrect. A jb does not need to be readily accessible so hidden behind clothing is perfectly legitimate.

FLSTF01 said:
You guys have me searching for a code section now. I do agree that we can't just make stuff up though. back when I was a contractor, I had a Building official tell me that. It stuck.
I agree that it could be compliant with a switched outlet and welcome my CT colleague...Don't let these guys scare you off, they are trying to help. Huge amounts of talent here. My old boss used to tell people that they needed an illuminated switch for the attic light so they couldn't forget it on...And they did it...