• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Coat Hooks

LGreene

Someone asked me today if there was anything in the codes that would prohibit someone from mounting 12 coat hooks on a rated wood door. I don't know why anyone would want to do that, but I can't find anything in NFPA 80 that would apply. Obviously 12 coats hanging on a fire door won't be a good thing...is there a code reference I can point to?

was said door UL tested with 12 coat hooks on it??

would say voiding the listing??

also, once you have 12 coat hooks you are going to have 12 coats, which is wrong in many ways

code cannot cover every scenario

Nfpa 80 4.1.4.2.2 mechanical attachment such as screws or nails shall not be permitted.

I believe they are talking aboutthe attachment of signs but inthinknthis would apply.

jar546 said:
Just make sure that they are no more than 48" AFF for accessibility. That comes first!
and that they don't stick out more than 4". LOL

IMHO NFPA 80-07 4.1.3 Appurtanences would apply even though hooks are not mentioned. See 4.2 Listed and Labeled Products too. 4.1.4 only addresses signage so I'm not sure I would apply the fastener portion of this to hooks; doesn't make sense to given what is in 4.1.3.

Is the coat hook a listed accessory? Don't think I've ever seen one. I'd go with this one to kill off a bad idea.

Question for UL/WH or door manufacturer: Do they have any kind of approval for coat hooks? If not, they might provide some interpretation that would restrict the number that could be installed.

Assuming 12 coat hooks will have 12 coats/stuff hung on them: Opening force? My money says at some point there would be enough on there to prevent the door from latching reliably, but that's after the hooks are installed. If mineral core, we know some of these will pull out leaving really nice holes which then need to be filled. Would probably still happen with only one hook.

Back of the door would look like something out of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Don't stand between the wall and the opening door!! :p