• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

code analysis - tenant spaces

Just rehashing an old thread.

I was thinking about this today as I have another tenant finish out of an existing space. The difference today is that it is not being submitted by an RDP, DP, architect etc. It is basically being submitted by the kitchen equipment supplier. Its one of those big chain franchises where they are taking over an existing B use space used as a small under 49 occupant restaurant. Previous tenant was also B use small restaurant. There is no code analysis. Just floor plan and RCP with cabinets, appliances, tile patterns, furniture layout, bathroom updating, etc. 1200 sq. ft.

rktect 1 said:
Just rehashing an old thread. I was thinking about this today as I have another tenant finish out of an existing space. The difference today is that it is not being submitted by an RDP, DP, architect etc. It is basically being submitted by the kitchen equipment supplier. Its one of those big chain franchises where they are taking over an existing B use space used as a small under 49 occupant restaurant. Previous tenant was also B use small restaurant. There is no code analysis. Just floor plan and RCP with cabinets, appliances, tile patterns, furniture layout, bathroom updating, etc. 1200 sq. ft.
And.......?

I'm so glad I'm not a plan reviewer anymore.. just inspections. I'm NOT going to re-review the plans.. if it's wrong, and we know it's wrong, we document it (and turn the plan reviewer over to the AHJ - since most of them are also performed third party).

If it's not a change of use or increased occupant load, it may not be a big deal with compliance... BUT, if your requirement is to have a code analysis, then stick to it.. it's a good idea.

We see so many of the same thing (TI, mostly); same violations (or lack of them depending on the subs), we can almost write the inspection report from the car.

The problem is that this village requires certain info on the plans for proper plan review.

And there is no way they have provided that information. And there is no way that if I ask them to that they will be able to without me telling them exactly what that information is.

I can ask for an occupant load and most likely they will count the seats. Next review I can ask them if they have any emplyees they would like to add to their occupant load. Then after that resubmittal, I can ask them how many people they would expect to be in their queue line? And then, all of a sudden, they might be over 49 occupants. Just an example. But unless I give them the answer, as in I am designing the space for them now, this could end up taking months.

rktect 1,

If you have the support from the village decision makers, inform the kitchen equipment

supplier of exactly what your village requires on plan submittals, ...that you cannot

approve their submitted plans so far.

I have been asked to "facilitate the process along" on countless occasions, because

most suppliers do not know what I am seeking, or at least, they feign their ignorance

whenever I ask for something code related. Without designing it for them, you can

certainly go over the various code sections, ..occupant loads & calculations, ..and other

requirements that your village wants on the submittals. Yes, it is time consuming, and

sometimes like teaching the blind to see, but if you want an accurate submittal of

documents, you may have to lead & teach them what you want / require,

or you can go "back & forth" for months trying to get the correct information from them.

Like a lot of jurisdictions, we have created our own Codes Analysis form that we provide

to applicants. We still get the "deer in the headlights" look, and "how dare we ask for

something out of the code books".

rktect 1 said:
The problem is that this village requires certain info on the plans for proper plan review.And there is no way they have provided that information. And there is no way that if I ask them to that they will be able to without me telling them exactly what that information is.

I can ask for an occupant load and most likely they will count the seats. Next review I can ask them if they have any emplyees they would like to add to their occupant load. Then after that resubmittal, I can ask them how many people they would expect to be in their queue line? And then, all of a sudden, they might be over 49 occupants. Just an example. But unless I give them the answer, as in I am designing the space for them now, this could end up taking months.
What if you told them what is required to be submitted and if they don't know how to provide that, tell them to get a hold of an RDP who does know how to provide it. Sure they'll have to pay, but it'll save them time...and time is money (so they say).

So this project doesn't need the stamp of an RDP?