• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Code Compliant Water Heater?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
There is no way this is a DIY. Obviously, it was installed by a professionally licensed plumbing contractor. Let this set the bar for how all water heaters should be installed.
( facetiously said )
IMG_6579.JPG

Water heater has PROFESSIONAL on it.

You saw Joe's Plumbing van in the driveway, was this a drive by inspection? ;)

Pressure relief valve (PRV), shouldn't be reduced in size, I see that a lot here when they try to use PEX. PEX uses insert fittings that reduce the discharge size.

Being picky I know but have had some pushback on this.

IPC 504.6 Requirements for discharge piping. (3) Not to be smaller than the diameter of the outlet of the valve served and shall discharge full size to the air gap.

2021 IPC 504.6 has added (14) requiring the relief valve to be one size larger at the outlet.

All those bends probably add about 50 ft. the equivalent length of the pipe.

I thought the overflow drain had a restriction on the total degrees of bends, but maybe that's just good engineering practice.

This is actually a dual purpose installation. It provides a hydronic heating loop to reduce the ambient temperature in the immediate area of the water heater while at the same time reducing the amount of water cavitation created when installing 90-degree elbows in a system. Thank goodness the big box stores are aware of this system and can assist installers with proper application.