• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Code violations in owner-occupied, single or two-family

JimmyTreeX

Just looking for your take on what is allowed when a property is owner occupied, either a single or two family. Meaning, how much jurisdiction does code have inside the owners dwelling? I’ve always treated it the same as if they were a renter, but I know others who say “you can’t tell someone how to live.”

Now if they choose to live like a slob, go ahead. If they choose to live like a slob in a two family, and becomes a nuisance for the other unit, then I have an issue with it. Or for an extreme example, say somebody who lives alone in a single-family home and they choose to live without water, do I have any jurisdiction over that?

I ran into a situation this week where at a two family home and the owner has been on the second floor using it for drugs, and running an extension cord from the first floor up to the second floor because there is no power. I condemned the unit for that reason but the question was brought up again about it being owner occupied.

A single family home owner occupied doesnt need water , heat or electricity.

A two family is another story,

I agree with the extension cord being used as permanent power, If the owner is using both units???

Maybe live and let live.

Have you adopted the International Property Maintenance Code?

If you have, and want to go down that path, (I only do it when it is a non-owner occupied structure) there are provisions that you could cite.