• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

College dormitory "lounges" open to the rated exit corridor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: College dormitory "lounges" open to the rated exit corridor

cda said:
exit continuity is being provided.the problem is there is nothing in the i code talks about storage or the like, as use to be in the good old U codes!!!!!!!!!

oh the good old days when code books were thin and made sense!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's part of the problem. This isn't the old U code - nor is it BOCA or SBC. Everyone is still coming at the situation from their own past perceptions. These buildings never had to have sprinklers in years past either. There's a lot different. And we're still trying to make it make sense. (Good luck with THAT!)

But I'll give you a big AMEN! on the thin part. :D

cda

I think the whole corridor needs to be rated to 0.5 (30 mins) per table 1017.1 from exit stair to exit stair to exit stair and some of those walls that share vertical shafts etc. may need to be rated higher....so I would say yes the walls should be rated at these doors...

texasbo said:
brudgers said:
What code section are you basing your denial upon?
The section I quoted.

Since normally I ignore your posts, so I wasn't really directing the question at you.

I'm not surprised that you could twist the code to construe an alcove out of the egress path as an intervening room in order to reject a plan...you are blessed with a unique talent after all.

It looks like it meets the dead end corridor requirements for maximum width to depth ratio.

syarn

what I was wondering is if the doors shown in the corridor are part of an area seperation wall, or what ever the i code calls it now a days????? as in dividing the building up into sections???

brudgers said:
texasbo said:
brudgers said:
The section I quoted.
Since normally I ignore your posts, so I wasn't really directing the question at you.

I'm not surprised that you could twist the code to construe an alcove out of the egress path as an intervening room in order to reject a plan...you are blessed with a unique talent after all.

Regardless of who you were directing the question to, your ignorance screamed for an answer; just trying to help you get a clue, Brudgers.

Since the egress path is only one half of the answer, and fire resistance rating is the other half, you scored a 50. Bring back memories of your first few shots at the Architectural Registration Exam?

Ya, in this particular case, the lounges can be interpreted to be lobbies, so even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. Your general lack of ability to understand and apply the code continues to amaze, however.

Gene Boecker

or anybody out there in code land

I keep asking the question why are rated corridors there is it to keep the smoke and fire out of it or to let it in???

if it is to keep the smoke and fire out, them why load it up with a fuel load!!!!!????!!!!!!??????

cda,

I think the point some persons are trying to make (and I agree) if the lounges are really foyers, lobbies or reception rooms they meet the exception under 1017.5.

Problem is the OP showed us a floor plan with the words lounge on the floor plan. From what I can see (and my old eyes are getting weaker and I am viewing on a laptop screen not a large one) we really don't know what the heck these rooms are.

I agree with your arguement about fire load etc., but without knowing what the real use is who knows what is in those "lounges"or what they are; hell to me a lounge is where I go to get a nice stiff drink. LOL

Maybe the OP can give more info as to the use. I think if it were my plan review, I would ask for more info and the furniture and fixture schedule for this area.

I have two daughters in college right now, and one of them lives in a dorm that has several of these little alcoves off the corridors and near the exits for the girls to meet visitors and take them to their room or what ever. To me that use meets the exception.

The other one the lounges have microwaves, vending machines, coffee machines etc., but they are separated from the corridor by a wall and door.

So who knows for sure.

Ok let's play the game a different way:

say

1. the corridor is rated

2. say the corridor only is required to be 4 feet wide

3. say they make it 8 feet wide

4. say they put couches along the wall in various places, put not in the required width

would you approve it????????????????????

brudgers said:
texasbo said:
brudgers said:

Regardless of who you were directing the question to, your ignorance screamed for an answer; just trying to help you get a clue, Brudgers.

Since the egress path is only one half of the answer, and fire resistance rating is the other half, you scored a 50. Bring back memories of your first few shots at the Architectural Registration Exam?

Ya, in this particular case, the lounges can be interpreted to be lobbies, so even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. Your general lack of ability to understand and apply the code continues to amaze, however.

I know you consider asking for a code citation ignorance...since everyone knows that your code knowledge begins with "Because" and ends with "I said so." And like Texas there's a whole lot of nothing in between them...

I already assumed you were concerned about fire ratings when you cited the section on continuity...I've seen enough of your posts to expect that sort of incoherence...I sure hope you never catch on to why people so often smile, pat you on the head and give you a quarter.

You really are such a "special" code official.

Brudgers said:

I know you consider asking for a code citation ignorance...
No. I consider asking a question that's already been answered ignorance.

Or, any post that comes from you.

You continue to disprove the old maxim that there is no such thing as a stupid question.

And like Texas there's a whole lot of nothing in between them...
Wow, now there's a compelling and logical argument; getting a little desperate now, aren't you Brudgers? Are you like, in 3rd grade or something? Sorry that Texas isn't a cultural and intellectual nexus like... Alabama...

I already assumed you were concerned about fire ratings when you cited the section on continuity...I've seen enough of your posts to expect that sort of incoherence...
If by incoherence you mean that when the code says the fire resistance rating of a corridor must be continuous, and I take issue when someone (read YOU) advocates deleting the required rating, then I guess I'm incoherent...

I sure hope you never catch on to why people so often smile, pat you on the head and give you a quarter.You really are such a "special" code official.
Ah, more mature and logical arguments from our pet troll Brudgers. Actually, you should be nicer to me; I'm your best friend on this board. I'm the only one that pays attention to you any more. In case you haven't noticed, most everyone else has just started ignoring you (in fact, I'll get the usual flood of comments after this post such as: "if you just start ignoring that idiot like the rest of us, he'll just go away").

I don't ignore you because I feel you provide this board a valuable service. In the animal kingdom, certain hosts develop symbiotic relationships with the parasites that cling to them. You're kind of like such parasites on this board. The valuable service you provide: reminding us all how important it is to remain vigilant in our efforts to protect the public from unscrupulous and ignorant designers such as yourself.

cda said:
Ok let's play the game a different way:say

1. the corridor is rated

2. say the corridor only is required to be 4 feet wide

3. say they make it 8 feet wide

4. say they put couches along the wall in various places, put not in the required width

would you approve it????????????????????
Yes, if it is a lobby, foyer, or reception room that's constructed as required for a corridor. But ONLY a lobby, foyer or reception room, because the code doesn't say "or other random spaces dreamed up by incompetent architects". I hear you, cda, and agree with you, but the code makes exceptions for these three very specific situations.

texasbo

so what code section are you using to say I cannot have a couch in non required width of a rated corridor, against a wall????? not in lobby, foyer, reception room???

cda said:
texasbo so what code section are you using to say I cannot have a couch in non required width of a rated corridor, against a wall????? not in lobby, foyer, reception room???
I'm not saying you cannot have it.

oh!!! thanks

so is there a hole in the hole in the code book????

cda said:
oh!!! thanksso is there a hole in the hole in the code book????
There's a bunch'em (learned that one in Alabama).

But in my opinion, not in this case. I believe the type of foyer you describe is exactly what is intended to be allowed per 1017.

cda

interesting...agree that the design could be using fire areas separated by fire walls...in that case yes the doors would need to be rated....

cda,

Yes if the floor plan made me believe those areas you describe fit the exception as a reception, lobby or foyer, yes I would approve it.

Thats part of the trouble with this exception, they don't define what a reception, lobby or foyer really is, so you have to take the dictionary meaning (and that isn't necessarialy what is meant here either).

I would also make sure any furniture etc. met the required flame spread etc.

I, like you don't exactly like where this could end up going, but its a fuzzy area of the code I didn't catch when reading it and adopting; and will have to live with it for a while.

texasbo said:
cda said:
texasbo so what code section are you using to say I cannot have a couch in non required width of a rated corridor, against a wall????? not in lobby, foyer, reception room???
I'm not saying you cannot have it.

Have you ever noticed that your most useful contributions are always the one's where you don't say something?

texasbo said:
cda said:

But in my opinion, not in this case. I believe the type of foyer you describe is exactly what is intended to be allowed per 1017.

CDA, You have to use the George Costanza method with his posts.

When he cited 1017.5 as the reason for denial earlier in the thread, that made it inevitable that the lounges are allowed.

Do exactly the opposite of his advice and you can get a job with the Yankees.

brudgers said:
texasbo said:
cda said:

CDA, You have to use the George Costanza method with his posts.

When he cited 1017.5 as the reason for denial earlier in the thread, that made it inevitable that the lounges are allowed.

Do exactly the opposite of his advice and you can get a job with the Yankees.

Or just do as you do, not read what's actually said, pull your responses right out of your butt, and make a fool out of yourself with virtually every post. I predict you'll soon become a role model for aspiring idiots, as you make it look so fun. And easy.

You do understand that you could attempt at least an illusion of intelligence if you'd actually keep up with the thread, don't you?

Which section of the code would specify the type of furniture that is allowed or required in other than Group I setting?

Coug Dad

Which section of the code would specify the type of furniture that is allowed or required in other than Group I setting?

only one I could think of is assembly

1.also, my question is if the corridor is straight with NO ROOMS and you put a couch against the wall, as long as it is not in the required width,

what code section says I cannot do that??????

2. also, why do you have rated corridors to keep the fire and smoke out of the corridor or to keep fire and smoke in the corridor??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.