• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Colorado Codes Helpline...Bl, Pl, Me, ++++

I shared about a free service to offer help in understanding Colorado's variety of codes and the responses immediately turn to who's right and who's wrong.

Disheartening. I'm not in the correct room.
Do you expect no debate? The people here are cautious to a fault. They question everything at least once.

It just was such a downer, but that's because I'm used to Colorado governance. We do not have a statewide building authority. The building official of local jurisidications has the authority in interpretation and enforcement as provided for in Chapter 1 of the I-Codes. I did not expect this kind of helpful service to be so shocking to others in other states and countries. It's just help. It should not be a threat to any authorities authority.
That is true in most states, including the one I am in. There is, however, a check and balance procedure to ensure that you don't have a rogue building official that is unreasonable to contractors and homeowners. This is why inspectors, plans examiners, and building officials are licensed, and there is a process for contractors and owners to appeal poor, czar-like decisions.

I, too am in a home-rule state, but there is a process for the protection of the citizen and contractor.

I shared about a free service to offer help in understanding Colorado's variety of codes and the responses immediately turn to who's right and who's wrong.

Disheartening. I'm not in the correct room.
This started with some very reasonable questions and some insight as to how it may be used in a different light than the "feel good" perception you have. It is not that you are not in the right room, it is that you are not in the room with people who are telling you what you wanted to hear.

Is it a good service and a good idea? Yes,
Can it be abused and create other problems? Yes

So the question is how do you disclaim the service liability and weight of the answers?