1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

combustible material in type I and II construction 603.1

Discussion in 'Commercial Building Codes' started by Hyrax4978, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Hyrax4978

Hyrax4978 Registered User

I was reading the list of allowed wood in section 603.1 item 2 and then realized the items listed are an exception to thermal and acoustical insulation. i am confused as to why the list of allowed items is an exception to thermal and acoustical insulation??

Thanks,

2. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

If I understand your confusion I think it is just an optical illusion. There are two exceptions to application #2. The 3rd application is not exception #3, it is application #3. I understand the confusion because of the way application #3 follows exception #2 at the top of the next column (at least in my 20123 soft-cover book). Subsequent editions and different formats have a little different layout and are more clear.

3. Hyrax4978

Hyrax4978 Registered User

Thats how i remember it from the last time i looked years ago, but when i grabbed the 2012 commentary to double check the second exceptions for item two continue on the next page, and then item 3 is in the same vertical plain as item #2. Must just be a misprint in the commentary not aligning properly.

4. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

You are right, the commentary does appear to have poor numbering indents. The way it reads there are only two applications, and the second application has 25 exceptions. But I think the correct enumeration is application #2 has 2 exceptions, and application #3 (of 25) is for foam plastics.