• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

COMBUSTIBLE MATERIAL IN TYPE I AND II

Francis Vineyard

2012 IBC, Group B Office under R-2, NFPA 13

Seeking opinions based on the attached photos if the dropped ceilings and wood trim is permitted. Request applicable code sections. Thanks in advance for your input.

6. Millwork such as doors, door frames, window sashes and frames.
7. Interior wall and ceiling finishes installed in accordance with Sections 801 and 803.
8. Trim installed in accordance with Section 806.

Protected.jpg
Elev Grid.jpg
Elev. Lobby.jpg

So is your question how sprinklers should be installed

Or the amount of combustibles?

I think Section 603 covers most if not all of it... and you provided the sub-sections in your OP.

I see no problem complying with items 6 and 8 as shown on the drawings. Item 7, however, will need to have a Class A finish per Section 803.11.2, unless sprinklers are provided above and below the suspended grid ceiling per Exception 1. If sprinklers are provided per the Exception, then the required finish classification would be Class C per Table 803.9.

Ron, thanks for the reference. Please clarify subsection 803.11.2.1 that require that the ceiling "assembly members" shall be of noncombustible materials?

In reference 803.11.4 I'm interpreting that the wall trim and ceiling materials if more than ¼-inch thick shall be noncombustible or Class A.

Ron, thanks for the reference. Please clarify subsection 803.11.2.1 that require that the ceiling "assembly members" shall be of noncombustible materials?
That is a matter of interpretation since it is not defined, but I'll use the standard suspended acoustical panel ceiling as an example. The supporting wires are noncombustible, and the grid supporting the acoustical panels is noncombustible; so, I would assume this is the type of system the code developers had in mind when writing this section. Therefore, I would say that the supporting structure of the wood slats is noncomplying, since they are also of wood. However, I could be convinced to accept it if the supporting wood members were of fire-retardant-treated wood. But convincing me is not the problem--convincing the building official is.

In reference 803.11.4 I'm interpreting that the wall trim and ceiling materials if more than ¼-inch thick shall be noncombustible or Class A.
I would agree with that.

On a side note, there are several manufacturers of wood slat ceiling systems that would probably be less expensive than this apparently custom-fabricated system.

I would say that it is not part of the structure, so it is not prohibited as a combustible material. However, then it would have to meet Interior Finish requirements, and there is no way that it has been tested to meet interior flamespread requirements in the configuration in which it is being installed. (IT'S A WOOD CRIB! It's going to burn.)