• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

comm restroom wall finish

jmc

Bronze Member
hi. renovation of an existing comm restroom. 2012 codes. can durarock be directly applied to sheetrock or does the sheetrock need to be removed?

1210.2.2 Walls and partitions.

Walls and partitions within 2 feet (610 mm) of service sinks, urinals and water closets shall have a smooth, hard, nonabsorbent surface, to a height of not less than 4 feet (1219 mm) above the floor, and except for structural elements, the materials used in such walls shall be of a type that is not adversely affected by moisture.

I don't think alone it would meet the smooth requirement for ease of cleaning (sanitary)....

I assumed the durock was being applies as a sub-surface for tile, no on it's own it would not be suitable, unless perhaps if it were skim coated with some product and suitable paint applied.

yes, tile will be installed.

thank you!

Depends on the type of sheetrock to be used in the wall(s). "the materials used in such walls shall be of a type that is not adversely affected by moisture."

ok. kilitact: there is an existing layer of .5" sheetrock on wood framing. the plan is to cover the sheetrock with durock then apply tile. if you think this application will cause an issue please provide a code section from 2012 edition. thanks! :)

steveray did and I did in part;

1210.2.2 Walls and partitions.

Walls and partitions within 2 feet (610 mm) of service sinks, urinals and water closets shall have a smooth, hard, nonabsorbent surface, to a height of not less than 4 feet (1219 mm) above the floor, and except for structural elements, the materials used in such walls shall be of a type that is not adversely affected by moisture.

Is the .5" of sheetrock used in such wall the type that is not adversely affected by moisture?

The durock is not the finished surface, nor the sheetrock, if you want to go that deep, neither are the studs, unless they are metal. This section speaks to the finish material. If manufacturer's specs allow overlaying of durock, over 1/2" SR, with ceramic tile as the finish.........the it's all good........ JMHO

The code section states"except for structural elements". The section speaks to the walls and partitions within 2' of the etc. IMO, this takes care of studs, no?

OK, disregard the structural elements, you would be concerned about 1/2" SR, covered by durock, covered by ceramic tile? I am saying I would not.............

I would be, and the code appears to speak to this. Apply a product that is moisture resistance, pressure treated .5" plywood?

The existing Sheet Rock must be removed if adding the Durock affects existing rough-ins or reduces existing clearances at fixtures below code requirements. It should also be removed if it isn't moisture resistant, at least behind fixtures, or shows signs of moisture damage or mold.