• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial (A-3) exterior door U value

Ed Spencer

We are replacing an existing exterior door and moving it 3-feet in at the local VFW post (A-3) and the building official wants the Building and Energy Code noted (OZERCC) and the U value of the door, which i believe is U0.700. (please confirm). This seems a bit .....excessive. I have been scouring the OZERCC and cannot view chapter 13 of the OSSC that states the U value of elements. This is a very minor alteration to the post and i feel the plans examiner is being a bit overzealous. Can you help?

Ask the manufacture of the door????\\\

OR Go to city and ask to look at their code book

Last edited:
The manufacturer supplies to provided specifications and the city is closed and plans examiners seldom if ever respond. I was hoping for a little assistance from another professional. Clearly you don't know or are unwilling to assist. No worries. If there is anyone else who can assist I would appreciate it. cheers.

The OZERCC requires compliance with ASHRAE Standard 90.1-2016. Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the 2016, but I do have a 2013 edition, which requires a U-0.50 for opaque swinging doors in Climate Zones 4 and 5 (Zone 4 along the coast and Zone 5 for the rest of Oregon). A standard hollow metal door can have U-factors ranging from U-0.50 to U-0.36, so you should have no problem finding a door that complies. If the door is a glazed aluminum entrance door, the required U-factor is U-0.77 for Climate Zones 4 and 5. Depending on the type of glass used, you should have no problem finding a glazed aluminum door that complies.

Attachments

• BD6A1374-A4BA-462A-B75D-18B4E0285931.jpeg
    BD6A1374-A4BA-462A-B75D-18B4E0285931.jpeg
    751.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 5208BE8A-5AC5-44FE-8E3E-72731B6314EC.jpeg
    5208BE8A-5AC5-44FE-8E3E-72731B6314EC.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: