• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial kitchen accessibility

Technically infeasible” is defined as something that has little likelihood of being accomplished because existing structural conditions would require removing or altering a load-bearing member that is an essential part of the structural frame; or because other existing physical or site constraints prohibit modifications or additions that comply fully with the Standards. The 2010 Standards also contain an exemption for certain alterations that would threaten or destroy the historic significance of an historic property.

My comm
Technically infeasible” is defined as something that has little likelihood of being accomplished because existing structural conditions would require removing or altering a load-bearing member that is an essential part of the structural frame; or because other existing physical or site constraints prohibit modifications or additions that comply fully with the Standards. The 2010 Standards also contain an exemption for certain alterations that would threaten or destroy the historic significance of an historic property.
My comment is about the plumbing/building/existing building code - not the ADA requirements. It is about the idea of making a single ADA unisex restroom where two restrooms might be required. I'm not suggesting someone not comply with ADA nor the locally adopted accessibility requirements, but that they get approval if needed, to reduce the number of fixtures required. (This would also apply if you needed two men's fixtures and two women's but the best option would be to do two single occupant restrooms). Technically infeasible does not apply where I have seen this allowance - it becomes more common sense. The building official will not allow you to do this if you have the space for it. It's on a case by case basis. Especially if this is a part of a barrier removal program (where you were not doing other renovations).

If liquor is served you may have to get an exception from your local health department as you may not have enough room for urinals.
Most AHJs will allow a reduction in fixture count for pre-ADA facilities which lack space.

ADA Guy: I sent this question to the Access Board as is causing quite a bit of controversy in my office, with a client, and with a vendor. Someone in this thread alluded to complying with this via the same method I use. 203.9 requires you to be able to enter and exit an employee work area. If the work area is small and exempt from the common circulation requirement, my interpretation is that you still need to be able to enter AND exit. And if there is a door closing behind you, (and you are expected to get into the space), in order to exit you must be able to turn around. So I require a turn-around within this space (or three point turn compliant with code). I have not found anything official on this. Thoughts/rulings/knowledge?

Thank you!

If you can enter it you must be able to exit, however the alteration of the space may not be required other than to address possible Title I issues if an employee applied for a position.

If you can enter it you must be able to exit, however the alteration of the space may not be required other than to address possible Title I issues if an employee applied for a position.
That is consistent with my interpretation and view. I will note that this is a new employee work area so my feeling is that it must either be integrated now or easily modified (for example by taking a door off the hinges or removing/relocating a piece of equipment that does not require a permit).

I thought it might help w/ forum organization to add on to this existing thread.

I have two commercial kitchens that are about 400-500 sf a piece. They will get the double action traffic doors for entering/exiting. Vision lites will make the doors safer, but I never see vision lites that meet ANSI below. Am I missing something?

Per IBC 1103.2.2:

Spaces and elements within employee work areas shall only be required to comply with Sections 907.5.2.3.1, 1009 and 1104.3.1 and shall be designed and constructed so that individuals with disabilities can approach, enter and exit the work area.

ANSI A117.1:

404.2.10 Vision Lites. Doors and sidelites adjacent to doors containing one or more glazing panels that permit viewing through the panels shall have the bottom of at least one panel on either the door or an adjacent side lite 43 inches (1090 mm) maximum above the floor. EXCEPTION: Vision lites with the lowest part more than 66 inches (1675 mm) above the floor shall not be required to comply with Section 404.2.10.

In the ANSI A117.1 the vision lites requirements are in Chapter 4 "Accessible Routes". So that makes makes me believe if the door is the accessible route to the the employee working area it must comply.

thank you Rick, that's my interpretation too.