• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial Mechanical Inspector - M2

I took the CA version which is based on the Uniform Mechanical Code, not the IMC. But as with any of these exams I recommend trying to answer every question in half of the allotted time. Flag the ones you're guessing or aren't sure about and look them up after you get through. In order to do that you can't spend more than a minute or so on each question. If you know for sure just answer and move on. If you can't find the answer in under a minute then guess, flag, and move on. Time management is the most important part of these kinds of test. IMO

I took it a few years ago. All I can say, is study-up, and get a good idea of where to find the info in the book. Answer everything that you are absolutely sure of first, then go back to find the answers that you can find the easiest, and finally, return to what you don't have a clue about (if anything). It'll get you through more questions faster, so if you do run out of time, you'll probably still answer enough to pass.

The index is your best friend during the exam. I answer every question first time through and flag the ones I am not absolutely sure about. Then I go back through and start looking for answers and if I run out of time I at least have answered every question and have a 25% chance of being correct. Never leave a question unanswered.

As I say with every exam, get to know the layout of the book very well. The table of contents, and the index are your best friends. Answer the questions you know the best, first. Then circle back and start on the ones you need to really search for the answers to. Keep doing that process till you run out of time, then GUESS! Don't leave anything unanswered. Good luck!

The index is your best friend during the exam. I answer every question first time through and flag the ones I am not absolutely sure about. Then I go back through and start looking for answers and if I run out of time I at least have answered every question and have a 25% chance of being correct. Never leave a question unanswered.
Excellent advice... I would like it twice if I could.