• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

commercial plan reviw fees for build outs

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all,

Would like to hear input on how review fees are accessed for commercial build outs. We base our stand alone buildings on the building valuation data provided by ICC and utilize their formula. They also have a reduction for shell buildings too. Works ok and it was done prior to my getting here and everyone is used to it. However, I am looking for a way to evaluate buildouts in a similar fashion. ICC prices build out reviews by the hour. It seems common to access a fee based on the cost of the project or as a percentage of the price of the permit. However, in my limited experience I have seen so many try to fudge the numbers on their apps. as to the cost of the project, that they are unreliable. The other part of the equation is that I don't want to get into their contract prices and butt in their business from that end either.

Bottom line is, is there a way to look at the size and scope of a build out and determine review fees? My thought is since I use ICC BVD for stand alone buildings, maybe taking those values and reduce them a certain percentage and use that data to cost the project and determine fees for build outs based on that ICC data.

Input is greatly appreciated.

Byron

Re: commercial plan reviw fees for build outs

Take the difference between the shell building and the complete building to determone build out costs.

Would that work?????

If you are going to reduce by a percentage then the reduction would be based on the number of inspections you make. There is no perfect solution, I like the KISS method. What works for you and if fair is the best. Most localities do not operate as a business. Fee schedules should be based on volumn and the % of operating cost management wants to recover. I prefer flat fees, not very popular but easy to use.

Mules idea seems sound. The other option would be to use a contract price as a basis for the valuation of the work proposed. The contract price would obviously need to reflect the current market value, nor some unrealistically lowball figure.

Mules idea seems sound. The other option would be to use a contract price as a basis for the valuation of the work proposed. The contract price would obviously need to reflect the current market value, nor some unrealistically lowball figure""""""""""

Have them submit signed contract showing what they charging to do the job???????????

We use the contract price or the sq ft times the valuation table for the use and type of construction just as if it where a new building and then multiply the final number by 40% for the shell build out or interior remodel valuation.

The majority of the times the contract prices is higher then using the 40% formula

There is a footnote at the bottom of the BVD Table that shell values are 20% less than table value, so we use 20% of the table value, or contract, whichever is greater, for tenant finish/build-out.