• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial Plans for Metal Building USFS/USDA

FYI: Sue,

The Florida Building Code (based on the IBC 2009 model) allows municipalities to make administrative amendments Chapter 1 the Administrative section. I wouldn't be too surprised if Cali allows the same...

Regardless, I'm sticking this definition into my towns section 102 "Applicability", under "Words Definied"

Building shell. The structural components that completely enclose a building, including, but not limited to, the foundation, structural frame, floor slabs, exterior walls and roof system. Utilities may be roughed in. Connection to utilities shall be prohibited.

Although there are hundreds of jurisdictions in Florida, very few decide to amend the administrative chapter. I have always sugested to every municipality that I

I've worked to do so... You can really ad some Umph to your authoridy and eliminated a lot of ambiguity too...

Just a thought...

Mark K said:
AliasPlease provide provide me a basis for the statement that the CBSC did not adopt Chapter 1 of the IBC.

CBC Section 1.1.3.1 States that Title 24 Part 2 (CBC) shall apply to all occupancies and applications not regulated by a state agency. Chapter 1 of the IBC is located in Chapter 1 Division II of the CBC. Thus it would appear that the IBC Chapter 1 language is applicable.

What is the error in my logic?
Mark K -

I never said that CA didn't adopt Chapter 1 but what I did say was that I adopted it with the city code. I adopted Chapter 1 into City Code along with the rest of the IBC. So, it's referenced twice, my a** is covered, big whoop de do. ;)

Calif Health and Safety Section 18909© makes it clear that administrative rules are not considered building standards. This means that local jurisdictions are free to adopt administrative regulations.

While Chapter 1 Division II is labeled "Scope and Administration" it includes a number of provisions that are not administrative so one should be thoughtful in determining what modifications can be made to Chapter 1.

Had one of those today as an 80,000 sf athletic / training facility - so A3 some spectators as well - want foundation just to get started;

I require all foundation and full structural - HIGH WIND EXP C area and design development plans of all occupied and egress prelim plumbig / mechanical and energy worksheet and all site runnoff / drainage Planning Zoning Utility ...

I make sure the H&A Use Type Egress and Structure are addressed berfor I will issue a Foundation Only - AT Risk permit. Thats Me.

I have as a designer obtained a foundation Only AT Risk permit with just really good foundation plans and site authorization wheny I question don't you care about the rest the answere is NO that it is up to me and owner to make sure the rest complies and can be used on the foundation other wise he will give me a demo permit to restart????

Update on the project.

I sent the plans for the foundation and shell out to plan check. I received a 6 page comment letter from our 3rd party plan checker and I provided the applicant with a copy plus a request for fees last Friday.

Boy howdy, I was ambushed yesterday! No warning, no we'd like to have a meeting, just several people filing into my office and demanding a break down of the plan check fees, a permit for the foundation/shell, a permit for the temp power pole, etc., etc., etc.:censored

It was stated that they don't have to provide me with a site plan of where the temp power pole will be located. I said yes they do, and they said it is on the plans. Monday the Planner and I were out at the site for another reason and we looked at the temp power pole. A ground had been added after I posted a Stop Work Notice. What I then noticed was that the pole isn't located on the parcel where the project is scheduled to be built. :eek:ops

Other thread - http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/showthread.php?7430-Commercial-Plans-for-Metal-Building-USFS-USDA

This went on for about and hour. I found myself having to defend my practices, fees, etc. It was not a good day at all. I did have the Assistant DPW and the mayor there also. I did get support from the Assistant. DPW and a bit from the mayor.

I proceeded to spend the next 5 hours or so in meetings with the Assistant DPW, DPW, the planner, and contacting our engineer, their engineer, ad nauseum.

I want to publicly thank pwood for his input on fees, building size, etc. when I asked for info on a similar project that was built in his jurisdiction.

Last edited by a moderator: