• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Commercial Recreational cabin

Mr. Inspector

SAWHORSE
For people not in PA a recreational cabin is not required to have a permit or inspections.

I just lermed that in PA you can have a commercial recreational cabin. There is a campground that is using sheds for people to sleep in that the state approved as a recreational cabins. I was told (iii) means not selling or making anything).

So what is the limit for a recreational cabin. A 2 story hotel could meet the following definition:

Recreational cabin—A structure where all of the following apply:

(i) The cabin is utilized principally for recreational activity.

(ii) The cabin is not utilized as a domicile or residence for any individual for any time period.

(iii) The cabin is not utilized for commercial purposes.

(iv) The cabin is not greater than two stories in height, excluding basement.

(v) The cabin is not utilized by the owner or any other person as a place of employment.

(vi) The cabin is not a mailing address for bills and correspondence.

(vii) The cabin is not listed as an individual’s place of residence on a tax return, driver’s license, car registration or voter registration.

If the cabins are being rented out, it is commercial, not private use and not exempt

That is what I thought but the PA UCC doesn't say if it needs to be a private single family home or that it can't be rented out. After a call to L & I they said by (iii) above just means that they can't sell or make anything in a recreational cabin. Notice the above definition does not say anything about it needing to be residential or a one or two family dwelling. Also the exemption to recreational cabins for permits is not under the residential chapter of the PA UCC but in the general chapter. No definition of "recreational" in the UCC so I guess they could have other uses beside just for sleeping. They can build anything they want in or outside of a recreational cabin with out a permit like hot tubs, swimming pools, decks, and no limit in size as long as not more than 2 stories and no limit in occupants.

So the AHJ reluctantly had to exempt it for a permit. Seems like a big loop hole to me.

This is what a recreational cabin requires to be exempt for a permit:

(i) The cabin is equipped with at least one smoke detector, one fire extinguisher and one carbon monoxide detector in both the kitchen and sleeping quarters.

(ii) The owner of the cabin files one of the following with the municipality:

(A) A Department form UCC-13 attesting to the fact that the cabin meets the definition of a ‘‘recreational cabin’’ in § 401.1 (relating to definitions).

(B) A valid proof of insurance for the recreational cabin, written and issued by an insurer authorized to do business in this Commonwealth, stating that the structure meets the definition of a ‘‘recreational cabin.’’

No one is required to check on the smoke detector, fire extinguisher and carbon monoxide detector in both the kitchen and sleeping quarters. What good is a fire detector without an alarm? Carbon monoxide detector in kitchens are not recommended by insulation manuals.