• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Common Path of Travel from Assembly space with 2 exit access doors

jon17picks

I'm working on desiging an accessory assembly space on the 4th floor of a hotel project. The owners don't anticipate the occupant load exceeding 49, however there is no way to keep it below this with total area dedicated to the space. So we added a 2nd exit door to the space that will feed back to the corridor. This flys as the door is satisfys the remoteness requirement of 1/3 the diagonal of the space and it keeps the dead end corridor within limitations.

Now I'm considering common path of travel. With one exit, we used to just sneak in within 74' to the point in the corridor where you have access to 2 seperate exits. When you consider the new 2nd path through this corridor, it seems impossible to do it in less than 75' unless the corridor extends further into the space....

So my question is, while I would think common path of travel should still start in this same remote corner of the space, the reading of the code seems to indicate that it doesn't because there are 2 exit access doors from this space now? If that's true, does common path of travel actually start once you exit either of these 2 doors and get into the shared corridor? It seems counter intuitive to the intent of limiting common path of travel to 75' since both of these doors feed back to the same cooridor.

Thanks in advance for any insight. See pic below.

link to pic

1017.3 Measurement. Exit access travel distance shall be
measured from the most remote point of each room, area or
space along the natural and unobstructed path of horizontal
and vertical egress travel to the entrance to an exit.

Here's my take on your situation:
  1. The common path of egress travel starts within the most remote point in the room--it does not start at the doorway. Only one measurement needs to be within the CPET maximum distance. However, based on my #2 comment, I do not think your shortest route will stay within 75 feet if what you show is already near the maximum distance.
  2. Travel distance, as pointed out by Rick18071, is the natural and unobstructed path. Usually, this means following an orthogonal route through a room since it is impossible to account for future furnishing layouts.

1017.3 Measurement. Exit access travel distance shall be
measured from the most remote point of each room, area or
space along the natural and unobstructed path of horizontal
and vertical egress travel to the entrance to an exit.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Here's my take on your situation:
  1. The common path of egress travel starts within the most remote point in the room--it does not start at the doorway. Only one measurement needs to be within the CPET maximum distance. However, based on my #2 comment, I do not think your shortest route will stay within 75 feet if what you show is already near the maximum distance.
  2. Travel distance, as pointed out by Rick18071, is the natural and unobstructed path. Usually, this means following an orthogonal route through a room since it is impossible to account for future furnishing layouts.
Thanks for your take. Makes sense.

Ron is correct and what you may have been missing is in the definition, I agree the wording could be better:

COMMON PATH OF EGRESS TRAVEL. That portion of
the exit access travel distance measured from the most remote
point within a story to that point where the occupants
have separate and distinct access to two exits
or exit access doorways.

Curious if anyone views the corridor at the Public RR a single exit access doorway and therefore exit remoteness is not met because there are more then 50 occupants beyond that exit access doorway on the open deck and outdoor? I.e. does exit remoteness stop once you left the area in question and enter a corridor?