• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Common path of travel

Re: Common path of travel

Jeff - BUT...

Do you agree that an 'exit' from the storage room to the exterior will resolve the issue?

Keep in mind that it will ONLY be marked as an 'exit' inside the storage room (the only place in the space that travel distance is a problem)? All other 'exiting' would be through the existing entry/exit.

The idea came from that often referred to, little used concept called 'common sense'.

Not unlike the rear door in a commercial kitchen having an 'exit' sign. You don't send the 'customers' through the kitchen, but the kitchen staff can use it. In this instance it is a storage room not a kitchen, but the idea is the same. Let the people IN that space have a way out. Everyone else is already closer than required to an 'exit'.

I know it seems too easy, but consider this...

IF the plans show an 'exit' for use by persons in the storage room (no marcation outside of the storage room), and a single 'exit' for everyone else,

THEN 'travel distance to an exit' is not exceeded at any point, CPET (which all but Kil agree is not the issue) would not be exceeded either.

Other than attempting to shoot down the idea with 'exits can't go through storage rooms', I don't know of a code 'problem' with this proposal. Remember with this arrangement there is NO 'exit going through' the storage room, only an exit directly to the exterior FROM the storage room.

If that's a problem, then there is no code compliant exit from a storage room.

cite a code section that would allow you to denied this arrangement.

jd wrote:

which all but Kil agree is not the issue)
jd, go back and reread the posts ;)

If a door in the storage room is installed it could be used for stocking the storage room and could be used as an exit for the storage room. It could not be used for an exit for the rest of the business because it is a higher hazard area.

However, the day after the door is installed for exiting purpose the owner will be told by the local police security expert to install a dead bolt to prevent back door break-ins. And then it is no longer an exit.

CPOT...CPET... Once they get to the front counter area it is one atmosphere. A fire in that area would eliminate any way to exit. If they can't meet the travel distance for a single exit then install a second exit in the reat of the building or install a sprinkler system.

Well, I think from now on I am going to have to list the codes that I do my reviews under. In this case I am using 2006 IBC. We have no intentions of going to the 2009 or 2012 codes. Probably wait for 2015.

2006 IBC

You start with 1019.1 which requires 2 exits

Now move down to 1019.2 which will allow a "building" with one exit if it meets one of the 3 items listed

#1 must comply with Table 1019.2. which limits the MAXIMUM travel distance to 75 feet. 2 exits required.

#2 not an R-3 occupancy

#3 Single-level buildings with the occupied space at the level of exit discharge provided that the story or space complies with Section 1015.1 as a space with one means of egress

This would be applicable to the original post

1015.1 requires the exit access doorway from any SPACE when one of three conditions can not be met

Condition 2 can not be met because the Common Path of Travel distance exceeds 75 feet.

2 exits are required

Due to the layout of this paticular occupancy with 2 distinct spaces a dining area and a kitchen area the placement of the additional door for an exit from the space (storage/kitchen) that can not meet the CPOT distance is acceptable for that space. The remaining "space" (dining area) is also code compliant as it has its own exit

Kil - Had to go back a couple of pages to find it. Your more recent posts kept going back to CPOT, so you had me confused... Sorry about that. ;)

Now I do have a quandry though... since you and I apparently AGREE on something, there MUST be a flaw in the logic somewhere! :lol:

Yea, this really was a strange tread. First High Desert agreeing with me, which cause me to double check myself, now your agreeing with me. The way I look at it now is that you guys are finally catching up. LOL ;)

Kil - Uhhhhhhhhhhhm, I don't think it was you that suggested the door out the back... ;)

But I know what you mean, so far today I've actually agreed with you, brudgers AND Incognito! THAT's scary! :lol:

John, et al, I'm not sure we need to rely on that nebulus term "common sense". Section 1015.1 states "Two exits or exit access doorways FROM ANY SPACE shall be provided......

Section 1019.1 talks about exits from stories - but again uses the language ALL ROOMS AND SPACES, within each story shall be provided with and have access to the number of approved independant exits

This would seem to indicate that separate spaces can be treated independantly