• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Common Sources of Confusion in the ADA - webinar coming up

Just wondering if anyone listened in on the webinar and if there are any comments?
I realized they used the phrase that there are a lot of "Caveats to the standard" that they (the US Access Board) are not the DOJ.
Let me know.

What it taught me, the more I know the more confusing it gets.
A bunch of not in the standard however recommended and by the way if it is federal monies the the standard applies such as road grants, EV changing grants.
EV charging is a can of worms sice the car manufactures put the charging port in diffrent place on the cars.

What it taught me, the more I know the more confusing it gets.
A bunch of not in the standard however recommended and by the way if it is federal monies the the standard applies such as road grants, EV changing grants.
EV charging is a can of worms sice the car manufactures put the charging port in diffrent place on the cars.
I agree. The caveats, the recommendations, upcoming changes not part of the regulations, I think these items should not have been a part of the "common sources of confusion in the ADA" webinar. The time could have been spent answering the questions sent in.

To any one interested HUD under the Fair Housing First Accessibility Program presents webinars on multifamily housing and the requirements under the Fair Housing Act. I just finished participating in the unit titled "Accessible Public and Common Use Areas". I thought is was well done, clear and erased a lot of confusion I previously found in the older HUD FHAG presentations. They even let you type in questions and they answer them at the end of the webinar.
Here is a link to the calendar - https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/fair_housing_equal_opp/accessibility_first_training_calendar . The next session will be on September 27, 2022.

Thanks, Jean.

Follow-up question: does an answer from the US Access Board carry the same weight in court as a document or interpretation issued by the US Dept. of Justice?
I've been told 'no', but I wonder what others think.
Here is one more perspective on your question. Sorry to take so long to answer you. The DOJ sanctions the work the US Access Board produces for use in the ADA law. DOJ couples the objective compliance document (the design and construction part) produced by the access board into the civil rights laws protecting individuals with disabilities from discrimination. There is a legacy of history and experience starting in 1945 based on the reseach from the Doctors of Physical therapy at the University of Illinois. Dr. Nugent presented the body of information showing how steps and curbs are associated as barriers that prevent individuals in wheelchair from being able to participate at the universities class rooms. He also did the same thing with operable elements such as door knobs versus door levers and sink knobs vs levers. Not following the objective compliance now means by way of the disability civil rights law, you are discriminating against an inidividual with a disability based on the limits set forth in the objective compliance design and construction section.