• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

completed 4800 sq ft metal building cost estimate

# ! # ! #

Eddie_23,

(1) I recommend that you make an appointment with the City of Galveston
Building Official, and ask for references of "reputable" Contractors only, or
the very least, ...some very good ones who are experienced in construction
a compliant pad, ...constructing a compliant foundation in a hurricane area
and everything else that goes along with it........The B.O. may or may not
provide you with this list........You know, because everything is so darned
culturally & politically sensitive these days. :mad:

(2) Your steel building will need to be designed and sealed by a registered
structural engineer, who is currently licensed & registered to practice in the
state of Texas, and in a Velocity hurricane zone.

(3) In addition to any names of Contractors that you obtain from the B.O.,
I strongly recommend that you obtain your own list..........Get EVERYTHING
in writing........Every aspect of this project should be spelled out in writing.
What you want and what the contractor will provide, ...according to the
adopted
Codes & Standards in your area...............NOTE: Every Contractor
will
have different pricing.

(4) Do you have a competent attorney that you can go & discuss this project
with ?..............
Do you have a realistic time frame for this project ?......If a
Contractor signs a legally binding contract with you, what happens if they do not
stay on schedule, ...damage any utilities, ...unforeseen damages, ...other
unforeseen costs, ...constructed not to Code, and on and on and on and on.
All of these issues should be considered and addressed clearly in any contract.

(5) Document, ...document, ...document, ...document everything !

(6) Create an accurate and ongoing time line of everything !

While your intended project sounds simple enough in conversation,
it will take a lot of effort on your part to make it a reality.......You CAN do it
though !

# ! # ! #

# ! # ! #

Eddie_23,

(1) I recommend that you make an appointment with the City of Galveston
Building Official, and ask for references of "reputable" Contractors only, or
the very least, ...some very good ones who are experienced in construction
a compliant pad, ...constructing a compliant foundation in a hurricane area
and everything else that goes along with it........The B.O. may or may not
provide you with this list........You know, because everything is so darned
culturally & politically sensitive these days. :mad:

(2) Your steel building will need to be designed and sealed by a registered
structural engineer, who is currently licensed & registered to practice in the
state of Texas, and in a Velocity hurricane zone.

(3) In addition to any names of Contractors that you obtain from the B.O.,
I strongly recommend that you obtain your own list..........Get EVERYTHING
in writing........Every aspect of this project should be spelled out in writing.
What you want and what the contractor will provide, ...according to the
adopted
Codes & Standards in your area...............NOTE: Every Contractor
will
have different pricing.

(4) Do you have a competent attorney that you can go & discuss this project
with ?..............
Do you have a realistic time frame for this project ?......If a
Contractor signs a legally binding contract with you, what happens if they do not
stay on schedule, ...damage any utilities, ...unforeseen damages, ...other
unforeseen costs, ...constructed not to Code, and on and on and on and on.
All of these issues should be considered and addressed clearly in any contract.

(5) Document, ...document, ...document, ...document everything !

(6) Create an accurate and ongoing time line of everything !

While your intended project sounds simple enough in conversation,
it will take a lot of effort on your part to make it a reality.......You CAN do it
though !

# ! # ! #

Galveston

Hummmm,,

Hurricane, Big Wind

Lots of Water

https://www.tdi.texas.gov/wind/maps/galvesto.html

Probably as far as wind is concerned, but there are areas with minimal flood zone requirements. Like flood zone x

Ya know ... if you would spend half as much time looking for a valid answer to your question as you do posting obtuse responses, you would be well on your way to having a completed building.
Get in your car, drive around the county Looking for similar new buildings, and ask the owner who the contractor was. Some might even give you a ball park number what they paid.

Reactions: cda
Need to contact a local architect for the answer to many of your questions. You need a checklist of need to knows in order to develop an estimateable scope of work or contact a design/build contractor. Use to be a company called Butler that did B'Bs.

I'm looking to have a metal building made and noticed that the prices you see on the internet where they only want $25,000 for a 5000 square foot building is because it's just the materials they're charging for.

I was looking for a cost to build a complete steel building 80 wide by 60 deep 18-20 ft eve height with (4)16ft tall bay doors 12ft wide all in the front. The inside of the structure will just be wide open inside. Code calls for the structure to be 18in above the road and the lot is flat and about level with the road, so it would need dirt brought in to raise it up 18in.

Anyone have a rough ball park estimate for what this would cost for both the structure and foundation? This is in Texas in galveston county and it's outside city limits, but it does need to be windstorm certified. I'm just looking for a rough estimate with costs broken down like this

Cost of fill dirt:
building cost:
foundation cost:
delivery cost:
Labor:
Electrical cost: homes for sale in taberna new bern nc
Have many on here build their own house?

We are hopefully going to break ground this march on our self build project after 3 years of hassle but we are at the final hurdle now.

I always had this dream of me project managing the build as I have a real interest in doing so and factor in the cost savings etc.

But due to work commitments and a serve lack of available time, I cannot discount the value in giving a builder a 20-30% margin and let them at it.

Questions for the Self Builders,
1)Was it really as much hassle as everybody says it is to self project manage? (If I ask any self builders I know, the answer always is "Never Again")
2)How much time approx did it take up?
3)Did you actually save any money self project managing including adding in your own time and lost earnings?

The biggest issue you are going to have to understand is your extreme lack of knowledge from experience.

Built (5) homes since 1985, working on the design and build for #6 and hopefully the last.

Education cost money, the 20-30% margin will be spent either way, just more than likely where your lack of expertise from experience is lacking, rather than paying someone else who knows the ropes and has all the connections.

Simply, a good contractor with good quality verifiable reviews and recommendations is well worth the fee, just ask if you can shadow them as part of the deal.

I remember the first one I started in 1984 and completed in 1985. Went with a new architect striking out on their own, was half the price, figured he worked with another firm for years and even they said he was good employee. Worst decision I ever made when I look back, I won't go into details, but room layouts and closet spaces and being shown savings, but not the losses for doing the savings, was a real eye opener as the floor and roof structure needed to be revised during construction. Truss systems in 1984 aren't like they are today; I will leave it at that.

A bad contractor is not worth the 20-30%, a good contractor is a steal at 20-30%.

I tried acting as my own contractor once. That was enough. Whatever money I might have saved on a general contractor's fee I spent on aspirin.

Was it really as much hassle as everybody says it is to self project manage?
If you think fielding bids and vetting contractors, scheduling the work, receiving material deliveries, quality control, site cleanup, and listening to excuses as to why that is the other trade's responsibility....well if any or all of that is a hassle, then yes you are in for it.

Oh and don't forget job safety... and what about permits and workman's comp insurance... pay attention to lien releases and inspections.

Just hire a person that sees all of this as just another day at work.

I have worked with many self-build homeowners. I have not had one agree that they actually saved money, except those who are contractors.

I had a neighbour build a house one time. They only lived in the house a little longer than a year and then sold it. The new owners noticed something wasn't quite right with the deck and had a few contractors over to look at it. We were chatting on day and I offered to have a look at the deck (he had no idea what I do for a living). He said sure, probably thinking "what do I have to lose". He took me over and pointed out what the contractors had told him were wrong. I added 6 more violations to their list. He questioned me on them which is when I told him what I do for a living. He didn't think he had any legal recourse because it was a homeowner build. I told him he was wrong. Under our laws, the homeowner that built the house has liability for 15 years. He thought the homeowner built the deck. I told him he was wrong because I watched the framer build the deck on a Sunday while I was mowing my lawn.

The deck did get fixed because I told my neighbour to call the building inspector. The next morning, the building inspector called me to ask what was up. He then called the framer and told him to get down there and fix it. Credit to the framer, he did fix it.

Do what you want, but from a legal liability perspective, people who self-contract their houses are insane.

He didn't think he had any legal recourse because it was a homeowner build. I told him he was wrong. Under our laws, the homeowner that built the house has liability for 15 years. He thought the homeowner built the deck. I told him he was wrong because I watched the framer build the deck on a Sunday while I was mowing my lawn.
I love Canada.....

I'm looking to have a metal building made and noticed that the prices you see on the internet where they only want $25,000 for a 5000 square foot building is because it's just the materials they're charging for.

I was looking for a cost to build a complete steel building 80 wide by 60 deep 18-20 ft eve height with (4)16ft tall bay doors 12ft wide all in the front. The inside of the structure will just be wide open inside. Code calls for the structure to be 18in above the road and the lot is flat and about level with the road, so it would need dirt brought in to raise it up 18in.

Anyone have a rough ball park estimate for what this would cost for Prefab steel warehouse? This is in Texas in galveston county and it's outside city limits, but it does need to be windstorm certified. I'm just looking for a rough estimate with costs broken down like this

Cost of fill dirt:
building cost:
foundation cost:
delivery cost:
Labor:
Electrical cost:
Hello all, I am looking into having a shop built, roughly 3000 sqft. I am looking into my options and am looking at polebarns and steel framed buildings(sure as General Steel) as options. It looks like steel frame buildings are more cost effective to put up, but what are the negatives with them? I live in northern Michigan and can see heat loss through the heavy metal frames being a drawback, and having to frame interior walls to mount stuff to as the inside of metal buildings are angled in at the top. For those of you who have a metal building, do you wish you had gone another direction? What are pros and cons of these buildings? Thanks

Your insulation should be outside of the steel frame - if you have it inside or between the pieces of metal, you will lose a lot of effectiveness. If it's on the outside, you should have little problem. Also, you don't want to squish the insulation, same reason.

I have participated in building steel buildings, and I think they are a good option. The only issue I can think of is if you dent a metal panel, there is no fixing it without replacing it.

The other item is that the ridge cap on the roof always leaks... and I'm talking about ones I installed personally with painstaking attention to detail. You have to have a two tiered system where you are not counting on only one layer of the caulk or butyl tape with the closer strips to seal the ridge cap. You can never stop 100% of the water long term unless you have a weather tight barrier, a drainable surface, and then a water proof barrier.

I love metal roofs, but for the ridge cap I would install a small ridge cap, and then a larger one over it with the ability to drain under the large one with a breathable closer strip. This technique has never been used in my area because builders only have to warranty for 1 year...

Every ridge cap that did not have some sort of two tiered system engineered in that I have had to mess with leaked, whether I installed it or someone else did years ago... YMMV

Last edited: