• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Completelly OT-Long Rant-Not really political

fatboy

Administrator
OK, this is my rant for the day, well, maybe not for the day. It's long, up to you. I don't think this is necessarily political, but if you think I've overstepped, let me know, I'll take this down.

So, my son Jake, who is, as you all know, is in the Army, served his country in Iraq, re-enlisted while in Iraq, is coming home on leave for two weeks, from Fort Lewis WA, this weekend. So, one of his things he want to do, is go out to the lake with the boat, maybe camp, ya know, just hang.

So, I haven’t put the boat in the water for like, 4 years. OK, he wants to do this, cool. I bust the boat out, needs tires on the trailer, four of them, cool, needed to do it anyway. Crap, the batteries are trashed in the Excursion, which I need to pull the boat/trailer, cool, needed to do it anyway. (BTW, paying sales tax on all this of course)

Crap, haven’t had the boat on the water for the last four years, tags are expired.

Hmmmm….well, I know we didn’t do it that one year, but where have the renewal notices been going? You folks who know my lovely young bride know that nothing gets by her usually. (well, they quit sending after the first year, how convenient)

OK, I know I now have to make the trip to the lovely license plate place. (I call it the DMV) I go in, have a simple renewal for my little 5 X 8 utility trailer. I also need to get the loan lien released from Wells Fargo, for the loan on Jake’s truck, that I paid off in January, but Wells Fargo doesn’t think they need to bother with sending that to the DMV, I have to do it. BTW, Wells Fargo sucks, two loans in a row, PITA.

Anyway, I thought the release of lien would be the easiest, so I started with that. OOPS!, sorry, I can’t file a simple release of lien on a title, because, my name isn’t on it. REALLY! Well, now it has to be the title holder, with ID. I’m explain that my son is serving his country right now, and may not be available. Well, then you need a Power of Attorney. Really? OK, whatever, not the biggest deal, Jake will be home, just hoped to wrap up everything in this trip. (waited an hour to talk to someone)

OK, let’s tackle the boat, (pardon the pun you fishin folks). Well, I’m told, it’s been over four years since you purchased tags for this trailer, this is going to be expensive. So folks, for that trailer under the boat, that hasn’t been on the road in over four years, sitting on the land that that I own, and pay taxes on, I get to pay a $25 a year penalty, up to the max of $100 (which I hit) BECAUSE I DIDN”T USE IT!!!!!!!!! (I get to pay for the privilege on not using it)

This all goes back to the folks that managed to get elected. My 79 MGB, that I used to pay like $19 for plates, is now over $50. Why, State needs some money, so a couple of years ago, they just tack on an extra $40 on EVERYTHING, MINIMUM. Did y’all notice that? My utility trailer, that may or may not even see the pavement, $40 for a friggen trailer. Seriously? The boat trailer, without the friggen $100 penalty for not using it, $40, to use it maybe 5-6 times a year, when I do bust it out? Really?

Sorry folks, it’s time to get some people in office that know how to work within a budget, not just add fees when they have a shortfall. When my household budget doesn’t work, I need to cut, or get some other work, not ask the folks around me to foot the bill, because I can’t say no.

I am tired of it, not sure about you. $60 for a car that hasn’t put more than 30 miles on the roads in 3 years? $80 for two trailers that might see 200 miles on them a year? Really? $100 penalty for not using a trailer, that was sitting on land that taxes are being paid on? Really? When is it going to stop? Really……..

Think about these things come election time.............really.

It's not just you fatboy!......BTW, "thanks" for the rant!

Also, please tell your son "Thank you" for his service!

If any United States citizen wants to regain some sort of

control, whether real or perceived, over their lives and

their futures...

then re-elect no one! :eek:topic

I agree that this country is really turning a 180 in the past 10 years. I am truly at my wits end with politicians. My job here is so political I cant hardly get out of bed anymore. I am about done. i want to move over by jar and work for him. We seem to have the same beliefs and thoughts about the world today.

Move to VA or check out CO 5 year antique plates for the MG

Here permanant trailer tag is $70-100 depending on trailer weight.

Permanant Antique vehicle plate for vehicle over 25 years old is $50. Antique tagged vehicles are also exempt from annual state inspection and personal property taxes.

Use is somewhat restriced but there is wiggle room.

Quoted from code of VA

D. Antique motor vehicles and antique trailers registered with license plates issued or authorized for use under this section shall not be used for general transportation purposes, including, but not limited to, daily travel to and from the owner's place of employment, but shall only be used:

1. For participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events;

2. On the highways of the Commonwealth for the purpose of testing their operation or selling the vehicle or trailer, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in subdivision 1 of this subsection, and for occasional pleasure driving not exceeding 250 miles from the residence of the owner; and

3. To carry or transport (i) passengers in the antique motor vehicles, (ii) personal effects in the antique motor vehicles and antique trailers, or (iii) other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes.

Another thought--

Did you change the rubber water pump impeller on the boat?

After 3 years sitting it will be suspect--

I trashed an old outboard and barely got back to the dock on the electric trolling motor that way a few years back.

Inboard and inboard outboards have the same issue.

Trailers, boats, ATV's, Motorcycles all are permanant tags here from day one. Any personal vehicle over 10 years old you can purchase a permanent by paying the equivalant fee of 3 years. My 78 ford plow truck $112.00 my 95 suburban $124.00. Did I mention no sales tax either. This from a state where the majority of those elected do not have a collage degree, are not attorney's and generaly work for a living. The legislature only meet every 2 years so you can't make a living as a politician.

That's it I'm moving to MT.

Yeah, CO has collector plates, but the politicians changed the rules on that two years ago. Used to be min. 25 years old, now it's pre-1975, crosses out my MGB. Gee, I guess it's not a collector item. How many do you see you there on the road? HA! Once again, screwed by the money grabbing politicos......let's close another loophole. KA-CHING!

spot on fatboy. I declared my 69 gmc truck non operable and use it on my property for a work truck. license and insurance was ridiculous for driving to the store for gas. i have a 1983 yamaha 5oo cc street bike with 13,000 original miles that has been in my barn since 1992 that i would be afraid to license because of the fees. thank your son for his service!:cheers

On the other hand, if somebody called me tomorrow, and told me I never had to pay taxes again, of any description, and then told me all I had to do was to personally refrain from driving any motorized vehicle on a public road . . . I'd probably pay the taxes.

Like to ride the scooters too much.

At $19 the tag for your MGB almost certainly didn't cover the costs of issuing it.

And the irony of the fact that you are allowed to drive that deathtrap given your position on buildings is the stuff from which legends are born.

If it were a building, you would of course require the installation of airbags before you would allow the distributor cap to be replaced.

I just paid $58 for my Suzuki Samurai that I barely drive. Last year it was $48, and when I first got back to CA in 2003, it was $37.

It gets better.....went to DMV to get the title on a 1980's Honda Prelude so I could junk the yard ornament. Acccording to DMV, I had never completed the paperwork for non-opping it and I owed them $631 in back fees before I could get a title. Now, the junkyard will only give me $50 for yard ornament. The car disappeared from my property one evening.........thank you Dave, RIP.

Late breaking news from the late, great state of Kalifornia - the new budget bill was passed on time but, along with raising fees for post-secondary education, slashing mediCal, etc., there is now a $150.00 "fire protection fee" added to all properties located within State Reponse Areas served by CalFire. I wonder how they will enforce this mandate as it seems like a tax to me and don't voters get to vote on new taxes? This budget was passed by the Democrats, no Republicans needed. ARGH!

Vote The Politicians Out! :eek:topic

Guess it's a good thing I took the part-time summer job fueling planes and choppers at the airport this summer......gonna need the extra cash.

fatboy said:
OK, I know I now have to make the trip to the lovely license plate place. (I call it the DMV) I go in, have a simple renewal for my little 5 X 8 utility trailer. I also need to get the loan lien released from Wells Fargo, for the loan on Jake’s truck, that I paid off in January, but Wells Fargo doesn’t think they need to bother with sending that to the DMV, I have to do it. BTW, Wells Fargo sucks, two loans in a row, PITA.
Could have told you Wells Fargo sucks ten years ago....haven't been back since and don't use their ATM's. Best of luck with everything. Maybe you could run down a buddy and see if they could loan you a boat, or take you and your son out. Hope your weekend gets better.

BTW, any thread that says not really political is pretty much guaranteed to be political.

Thank your son for his time given to us and thank you for your time in support of him.

And DITTO on the rant.

I'm going to add to it my rant about trying to deal with Medicare and Medicaid and the VA for a dying ex-navy man.

No reason why it should be so tough to get a little assistance for someone who put his life on the line for this country.

I had a trailer built. The day I picked it up dealer offered to handle the registration for $45. I thought I could do it myself. It was new and built by a manufacturer so what's the big deal. Off to the DMV with all of the paperwork. Sorry we need to inspect the trailer, appointment required. I report for the inspection. Sorry sir but the trailer can't be loaded. Why? We need to weigh it. But the weight is on the title and I am on my way 800 miles north.

I never did get tags or register the trailer. When I reached my destination, I sold the trailer.

Tell the Son welcome back and thanks for me. Hope you guys have a great time.

As to AZ they issue a permanent license for trailers under 6000 lbs for $125 IIRC.