• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Computer serving room air conditioner

Inspector 102

Silver Member
Admittedly, I know nothing about sizing a unit for cooling. We have a server room approx. 8' x8' that is runing about 88 degrees. We would like to lower the temperature to about 75 degrees with a air conditioning unit. Most are sized as 3.5 KW but I am not sure how that translates. Can anyone offer some suggestions on capacity for this type of installation? I have inspected equipment before for installation, just never sized it prior to installing it. Our IT guy would really like to see the rrom cooler. Thanks

~ ~ ~

What is currently providing the 88 degree air to this room?

A dedicated trunk line off of the AHU, ...something else,

other?....Also, do you have control of the air supply, ...can

you raise & lower the temp.?

~ ~ ~

Inspector 102 said:
Admittedly, I know nothing about sizing a unit for cooling. We have a server room approx. 8' x8' that is runing about 88 degrees. We would like to lower the temperature to about 75 degrees with a air conditioning unit. Most are sized as 3.5 KW but I am not sure how that translates. Can anyone offer some suggestions on capacity for this type of installation? I have inspected equipment before for installation, just never sized it prior to installing it. Our IT guy would really like to see the rrom cooler. Thanks
3.413 btus =1 watt so 1 kw 3413 btu 3.5 would be one ton of cooling. Your space 8x 8x8 = 512 cubic feet. I would look for 1 1/2 ton mini split to give you your 13 degree drop

Apparently there is a watt meter on the equipment that indicates approx 1200 watts usage for the server rack. Every indication is that a 1 ton APC cooling unit should do the job, so he is ordering 2 for a redundant system. With over $40,000 in equipment, $1600 for cooling units seem minimal. I never realized how much goes into actual sizing out a system prio to installation. My hat goes off to those that actually do it.

= + =

Inspector 102,

I did not ask before, but will all of your cooling loads be connected

together, ...possibly to an emergency back-up power source [ i.e. -

a generator ], in case of power loss?

$ ~ $

The entire room is set up with back up power from an on-site generator. These servers are for the entire municipal building including police department. There is basically no more room in the server room for much expansion, so that was also taken into consideration when sizing. The room was originally built 6 years ago for a single server and has grown to a full server rack with 2 servers, 5 switches, 2 video camera systems, 10 radio dispatch modules and 2 monitors. Don't know what all it does, but the IT guy says it works great. Except for the almost direct lightning strike 3 years ago that took down the entire system. Luckily most of it was the switches when it all got sorted out, but myhem for a short period. An HVAC guy was working above the ceiling when the strike hit and he said he felt the static electricity go through him. He took the rest the day off and changed his shorts.

Inspector 102 said:
Hi,

Might be too high for the space. 67~68 is suggested because the fatigue will be hotter, so while the space might experience cool, within the hosting server might not. Of course, if you have a fan air flow to the top side of the web servers 67 will be too low. Also, the larger the space, the reduced heat range you need. I used to perform in a organization that the information middle was quite big. It was cool in there, but at the top side of the web servers it was around 71, the returning it was 80~90 (depending on the server). The 3 models (1 was for backup) were set to 67. When I noticed this I put a little desk fan in the desk to strike the cool air from the desk towards the web servers, and we were able to increase the heat range of the AC.

As an update, the IT guy ordered 2 portable cooling units from APC. They have cooled the room down with an in rack temperature lingering around 73 degrees. They even came with a module that will text him when the temperatures get too high. We also found out that when the unit shuts off because of high water it will text him. Had to install a condensate pump but working well. Thanks to everyone for advice.

Those things work pretty good. We see more and more tenants using them instead of the perminent install. (take them with you when you leave) The only problem is the hot air is usually exhausted to above the ceiling. In many cases that space would be plenum return air. Really messes up the building VAV systems. I think they should always be required to be vented to open air. The ECC folks will figure this one out sooner or later.