• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Conarb Las Vegas again

CDA:
AP said:
County spokesman Erik Pappa said officials found no building code violations at the Bellagio.

What good are codes if they allow this crap? Another example of an industry buying it's code approvals, and of course it's insulation to satisfy the energy nuts.

Than there are the ones that can pay to drag thier house a few feet:::

Lisa D’Andrea, of the East Hampton Town Planning Department, said Simon’s representatives are seeking to make the move permanent by applying for a natural resources special permit with the town, which would allow them to build a foundation in the new spot. The permit could be approved next month if the planning department has no objections to the proposal, which was submitted in January.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...uk-cottage-to-save-it-from-erosion-1.13450275

CDA:

What good are codes if they allow this crap? Another example of an industry buying it's code approvals, and of course it's insulation to satisfy the energy nuts.

And...........how do you know this is a code problem?????

It's apparently a material approval problem, styrofoam behind stucco? It should not be allowed for several reasons.
I certainly agree with that however it is allowed in most places. I've seen restaurants burned down after somebody threw a cigarette butt into the mulch and the resulting fire started the stucco on fire which burned the restaurant down. unfortunately code allows it.

Right, we shouldn't use combustible materials in construction. Wood should be outlawed along with foam.

That was obviously sarcasm. We need to, and do, regulate where combustible materials are installed. this helps limit damage to the building. So, given that;
1. no one was killed or injured
2. the fire was contained to the point it did not affect the building operations
I think the construction materials were properly specified on this project.

Foam is in most cases is the most cost effective way to meet insulation requirements, especially in steel construction. Outlawing foam will result in significant increases in cost of construction.

Note that CDA entitled this thread "Las Vegas Again", this is one more of a series of Las Vegas fires that involved flammable foam, here is a list of Las Vegas fires not all were foam related but I do think high rise buildings should be built with fire-proof materials. Another problem with foam fires is that burning foam emits toxic gasses, just look at the Rhode Island nightclub fire, the last I heard some were still in iron lungs after inhaling the toxic gasses from the burning foam.

Cassell said the material is widely used around the world and that he was not too worried about its flammability.

“Most building materials, when they catch fire, they do burn,” he said.

The Bellagio’s interior was not damaged, and no injuries were reported. Damage was estimated at $450,000.

This got me more than the rest

Cassell said the material is widely used around the world and that he was not too worried about its flammability.

This got me more than the rest

Yes of course, build with flammable materials and let the buildings catch fire, the sprinklers will put out the fires.

Something that I found interesting about the Ghost Ship fire was that there was no foam soundproofing, in the series of nightclub fires that we have had there has always been foam soundproofing because the conditions of (usually cabaret) approval required some form of soundproofing, in the case of the Ghost Ship the city ignored residents' complaints so there was no foam, had there been foam soundproofing that loss of life could have been greater on the order of the Station House fire.