• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Concrete Cinder Block Florida house with no drywall?

CyberPine

Anybody know if anything in the FBC requires drywall or insulation over empty cinder block in Florida? Any reason a new industrial style house in Florida with exposed mechanicals needs drywall if the plan is just to texture inside and out?

The coldest it gets where I am at is in the 40s a handful of days in 3 months

Thanks.

I think they make concrete houses in Fla.

So if you like the look go for it,,, if the
Structure will meet code??

The Fla official should chime in soon

Anybody know if anything in the FBC requires drywall or insulation over empty cinder block in Florida? Any reason a new industrial style house in Florida with exposed mechanicals needs drywall if the plan is just to texture inside and out?

Thanks.
I mean texture right over cinder block with NO DRYWALL at all

Don't know FL codes but 2015 IRC requires R-3 or R-4 continues (foam) insulation on the interior or exterior of mass walls depending on the area of FL you are in.

Thanks.
Are you asking about an existing building or a proposed building?

The R-value for block varies with thickness and density. I usually figure about 2 for uninsulated 6" or 8" block.

Table 2 is about halfway down the page.

I'm in California and we have our own energy code so I don't know what you'll have to do in Florida. Here we have a prescriptive or performance approach, either follow the prescriptive code or get an energy report which models the home on a computer and uses an energy budget to show how the house will meet performance requirements. Every project I've seen has used the computer model approach done by an energy consultant. I guess it's easier to pay someone to tell you what windows/doors/insulation to use than it is to read toe code.

That would be my advice, hire an energy consultant and tell them what you want to build, they will tell you how to meet code.

And what of protection from moisture intrusion?
Either a water sealing paint (typically an epoxy type) on the exterior, or the use of integral water repellants added to the CMU.

This has to be done even when, and perhaps is even more important, there are furred walls.

Thanks.
Hello my friend, I saw your post and I got interested, have you started the project? I'm thinking to do same as your idea, on Naples area... please contact me, I would like to exchange some ideas. Alex.