• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Concrete Slab for Mobile Home in Flood Zone

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Although there is a requirement for the height of a mobile home in a flood zone such as an AE zone as seen in the picture and of course a minimum height for electrical equipment, is there a minimum height for the slab that the mobile home will sit on?

Where are all of my floodplain administrators out there?

IMG_3711.JPG

Why does a mobile home need a slab. All of the mobile homes that I have seen are supported on adjustable piers. Are you sure that you are not talking about a manufactured home.

In California mobile homes are not covered by the building code. Instead they are regulated seperately by a state agency.

Why does a mobile home need a slab. All of the mobile homes that I have seen are supported on adjustable piers. Are you sure that you are not talking about a manufactured home.

In California mobile homes are not covered by the building code. Instead they are regulated seperately by a state agency.

Yes, most states have a separate agency from building codes that regulate mobile homes since they have a VIN number like a car. The problem with mobile homes is that they are all different and the piers for them are therefore, all different. Pouring a slab makes a massive difference as you can now bring on any home you want and put the piers wherever they need since you now have a large footer. One of the options for mobile homes is a slab which makes the most sense. I have seen piers a lot in the past but no more. Along the intracoastal, near the ocean on a barrier island, however, the soils are not set up for separate piers unless you want to have 30' deep pilings.

Regardless, I prefer to keep this from getting thread drift and would like to go back to the special flood hazard area question as posted.

FEMA minimum hight applies to living spaces and equipment, houses on stilts have parking slabs below them.

my observation

I don't think the flood guys care about that slab, but would want the mobile home at least 1-ft above FP. It appears the structure to the left has mechanical equipment below the FP.

Thread drift: They would have done everybody a favor by installing some bull rings in the concrete slab for tie-downs. Not sure how they plan tying the mobile home to the slab? Windy day in FL?

This is similar to what I would see when I worked in Fl. These would be for a double wide use or half of #1 for a single wide. They where called "Runner Foundations" and did not interfere with the tie down anchor placement. After "Andrew" went through #2 did not work so well since the blocking space was no longer the standard 10 ft for all homes.

runner-11.gif

runner-21.gif

Same here.

As for the slab, you need a foundation no matter the type, floodplain or not. The slab is not the Floor level of the home and all equipment (elec., mech., etc.) shall be above BFE. The tie downs can be the newer type that use drill in wedge anchors.