• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Condensation floor pipes

bbqbrisket

I have been told that condensation pipes need to be installed in both a laundry room and HVAC room.

The the requirements are that the approx 3 inch looking floor drains are to be about 1 inch above floor tile grade.

Why can't they be recessed or sloping into the drain?

Need some more info:

Project location: code section?: & definition for "condensation floor pipes"

It appears you may be dealing with "floor drains", please clarify.

Unusual that your floor drain is going to be 1" above floor tile grade, clarify why as most floor drains are flush to floor tile grade as typically required by plumbing codes.

Maybe 'condensate' and not condensation?

HVAC typically has a condensate drain, though I don't get elevating the receptacle for it, and I don't understand having one in the laundry room....

An air gap between the condensate pipe and the drain would make sense, though I'd have to look for a Code Section if one exists.

As noted by jdfruit above, location would help as there may be a local or state amendment.

bbqbrisket, Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like they are asking for the condensate drain to stop 1" above the floor drain as an air gap.

Could you provide more details, preferably the Code Section you need to comply with?

Are we sure that this is not what used to be referred to as a "Hub drain"? The hub of the fitting was raised above the floor surface so that other waste water did not readily go into that system. Oft times they were used on an independent system that went to daylight or the storm drainage system as opposed to entering the sewer system since it it is basically clear waste water. If it is a floor drain, then it is required to have a grate over it so that other material did not go into the system.