• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Confused - Building Area calculation

tuzi

I am from Canada and new to USA and IBC. For the building area calculation, my college told me to take the area from outside face of studs. Is that true for all types of buildings? Also, in the definition of "Area, Building", it says " Areas of the building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the building area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof o floor above". Does it mean the space under a porte cochere should be included in the building area? It doesn't seem like they do that in my office.

If the Porte cochere is not attached to the building, would not count it

My project is using 2015 IBC, though. Any difference on this definition? 2009 seems like you measure the building area from inside face of exterior walls.

Will have to look.

A guess is no

Building area to determine construction type is taken from the inside face of the exterior perimeter walls. For occupancy area calculations it depends on the occupancy group where mixed occupancies occur in a building you may have to use the inside face of some interior walls. Exposure to fire for the allowable perimeter increase is to the outside face of the exterior walls skin finish. Yes, any roof overhangs that can be used for expansion of the building’s exterior walls, such as attached covered entry’s, are part of the building area. At one time a building code defined the roof extension had to be used in the building area if the roof extension was 15-ft or greater. Roof extensions that could be used to cover an addition to the building easily under the roof was the basis. You do not consider any type of wall attached canopies such as being used over a door. If you have a porte cochere separated from and not attached to the building, then the porte cochere structure is a separate building thus you would have two buildings maybe too close to each other. If the porte cochere is attached then it is part of the building’s area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than the fact that building area has nothing to do with determining construction type (Actually construction type is one of 2 criteria needed to determine allowable area), I agree with Examiner. Inside face to inside face.

Sorry I did not make myself clear. Construction type is a balance between the occupancy use group used to size the building based on the construction type you choose that will work for the occupancy use group. Did that make sense?

Reactions: JBI
I am from Canada and new to USA and IBC. For the building area calculation, my college told me to take the area from outside face of studs. Is that true for all types of buildings? Also, in the definition of "Area, Building", it says " Areas of the building not provided with surrounding walls shall be included in the building area if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of the roof o floor above". Does it mean the space under a porte cochere should be included in the building area? It doesn't seem like they do that in my office.

There is no official system to measure building areas. Here at the office, we use two types of systems to measure the gross area of a building.

1. BOMA (Builders, Owners & Managers Assoc.)

1.1 Exterior Gross Area (EGA):

The total floor area contained within the measure line (follow the exterior face of the building wall). Unenclosed areas are typically excluded, except circulations.

Typically the exterior face must coincide with the "drip line" of the building. And so you might find yourself including void spaces, recessed openings and areas that would not be included using systems such as CBC.

1.2 Construction Gross Area (CGA):

This is the EGA area plus other areas that have a structural floor and are covered by a rood or canopy. These areas can also be unenclosed but have to be within the building perimeter.

2. CBC (California Building code)

This system is accomplished by drawing a line following the inside face of the building walls.

This IS the Building CODE Forum, isn't it?
The Code does provide a method to determine building area, and it is to determine the actual usable area.
People don't stand within walls... unless of course they work for BOMA apparently. LOL

From the 2015 IBC Commentary...
1007.1.1.1 Measurement point. The separation distance required in Section 1007.1.1 shall be measured in accordance
with the following:
1. The separation distance to exit or exit access doorways shall be measured to any point along the width of the doorway.
2. The separation distance to exit access stairways shall be measured to the closest riser.
3. The separation distance to exit access ramps shall be measured to the start of the ramp run.

Where exit access stairways are permitted to be unenclosed, the remoteness measurement for doorways
shall begin at the center of the top riser of the unenclosed stairways; this is consistent with the exit
access travel distance measurement in Section 1017.3. When enclosure is provided, distances are
measured to the door of the enclosure. Typically, travel distance is measured to the center of the door,
ramp or stairway; however, there is an allowance for that point to be at any location along the door
, stairway
or ramp. The intent is to reduce subjectivity in the determination of exit/exit access configuration. The
result is that a designer could literally measure to the far extreme edge of the two doorways leading out of a
room to meet the separation requirements.

For the record, all of the figures/details show the measurement for the diagonal to the inside corners of the room or space.

This IS the Building CODE Forum, isn't it?
The Code does provide a method to determine building area, and it is to determine the actual usable area.
People don't stand within walls... unless of course they work for BOMA apparently. LOL

True, it seems BOMA is a bit "tricky". What do you usually use?