• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Considering wind uplift on posts

I am looking at a 234 s.f. covered porch supported along one edge that is 18 linear feet against the new addition. But then there are two large 6 x 6 posts supporting the two outside corners. Without any formal training in wind load calculations, I am guessing that the uplift on each post or column is only 1,462 lbs. But this would be even less if I can subtract the dead weight of the roof.

I am not too concerned considering how I have these two posts anchored to large concrete pier foundations. Not to mention the reaction that I received today when I showed the sketch to a structural engineer that would suggest a design that is over-done. He suggested that I could reduce a few measures.

Is it standard practice to subtract the dead weight of the roof from the force of the wind acting upward?

Thanks!

There is an ASD load combination with 0.6D + W (LRFD equivelent is 0.9D +1.6W).So, 60% of the dead load can be used to resist the wind uplift.