• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Continuous fresh air bathroom fans

Robert

BRONZE MEMBER
I'm working on a commercial bathroom remodel (CA) and there are existing bathroom fans that run continuous (exhausting to the exterior) and the makeup air is coming from louvered bathroom doors. Since the corridor is 1 hour rated, we need to find a new location for the makeup air rather than the doors. The contractor was originally going to use an existing 10" diameter roof jack, however that would be unconditioned air and. Am I correct in saying no to this, and using conditioned air only for the makeup air since this is heated space? I could also post this in the Energy forum.

Based on the information you have provided, it sounds as though the existing conditions providing makeup air to the bathrooms complies with IMC 601.2, exception 1. Is the CA code different with regards to obtaining makeup air from corridors?

Back